· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Peacocks/Haps Or Mbunas ?

0 Not allowed!
    Im cycling a 110g and want Africans! And its between Peacocks/Haps or a Mbuna tank. All male show is the idea and minimum rock work will be used( Just a few boulders, not a fan of having 100lb+ of rock in my tank).Will Mbuna still do even with out caves and such for them ? Anyways to wrap this up which do you think will be the better tank ? Peacocks win in color but mbunas kill them with personality and not bad at all in the color department. Mbunas are easier to come buy in my area and way cheaper then peacocks. Someone put their $0.02 please thanks.

Ps. I know the complication that come with these fish from experience just looking for opinions.
    Last edited by BiGBlak; 10-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I think if your boulders offered numerous hiding places they might work with mbuna, but I think a lightly hardscaped(yet still offering hiding places and sight breaks) all male peacock/hap tank would be MAGNIFICENT in a 110g. Mbuna really need heavy rock work or that personality you talked about will be nothing but aggression and stress with will lead to diseases and death.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess that was the main question lol. I basically just wanted to know if mbuna would work with minimum rock work. I found this one store that has a ok variety of peacocks about 45 mins away and i hear this other store 45 mins away the other way from me carries them regularly but i havent checked them out yet and then whatever i want to add that they dont have ill simply just make a order online.

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    How about Blue Speckled Cruisers
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1292
    They don't require a lot of rock work.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor
    How about Blue Speckled Cruisers
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1292
    They don't require a lot of rock work.
    arnt those haps?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGBlak
    I guess that was the main question lol. I basically just wanted to know if mbuna would work with minimum rock work. I found this one store that has a ok variety of peacocks about 45 mins away and i hear this other store 45 mins away the other way from me carries them regularly but i havent checked them out yet and then whatever i want to add that they dont have ill simply just make a order online.
    Sounds like a good plan! I won't preach about adding the fish all at once or anything lol but keep in mind stuartgaranti and jacobfreibergi peacocks tend to be on the more aggressive end of the spectrum from what I've experienced and read. They're still awesome fish though and shouldn't be excluded. Just my $0.02:p
    Last edited by Northerly; 10-04-2012 at 02:27 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    Sounds like a good plan! I won't preach about adding the fish all at once or anything lol but keep in mind stuartgaranti and jacobfreibergi peacocks tend to be on the more aggressive end of the spectrum from what I've experienced and read. They're still awesome fish though and shouldn't be excluded. Just my $0.02:p
    depending on what i have available to me locally i plan to add two groups because i feel the more less common ones i will have to order.

0 Not allowed!
    What sort of boulders do you have? Just wondering. Also what types of peacocks do you like? I've always wanted to do a tank of this nature but don't have room for the 6ft tank I'd like. I love sulfur heads, rubescens, OB peacocks, red shoulders, etc. As for haps i'm a big fan of deep water haps, blue dolphins, and venustus. Although i'm not sure if a venustus is a hap or a peacock.... Haven't researched them.

Also what types of peacocks do the stores you mentioned have? Very interested in the end result of this tank:p