· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Should I reseal this tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Just picked up a 60 gallon Oceanic tank and stand from Craigslist. It is a heavy tank with no center bracing. A little cleaning and painting of the stand and it should be good to go. I have a question about the silicone on the upright seams. I seems to be a little ragged on the edges of the joint but the rest of the joint looks solid. I would hate to have to cut out all the old silicone if i don't have to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    If your not too sure, I would reseal it just to be safe. That has always seamed to work well for me

The below thread explains the process. If you have not done this before, it can helpful.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=52239
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Towards the bottom, it looks like most of the silicone is missing.
    Cleaning it all up and re-sealing it is a finger cramping exercise, but it could save your floor and possibly a family or landlord crisis.

Please invest the time and slight case premium for silicone that is labeled for aquarium use. Then you'll never have to wonder if it was penny pinching that cost you a tank of fish due to some sort of ******cide.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff, when in doubt reseal it. 60g of water is better in the tank rather than the floor. Lots of good videos on youtube on resealing a tank. With a small tank I probably wouldn't go through the process of resealing it, too much work. For a larger tank it's worth it. Those older oceanic tanks are nice, thicker panes of glass. Be sure to take the time to really clean off the old silicone real well, new silicone will not adhere to old silicone well. Take the time to get rid of any old silicone residue with some alcohol too.