· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Question Blood Parrot - problem or pigmentation?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    I recently fishless cycled a new 90 gal FW then stocked which included 2 blood parrots (see signature line for other fish). All was well for the first week and then I spotted ich on my gold Sev and EBJD. I'm almost finished with ich treatment (85F) and lots of aeration and with the sad exception of losing my angel fish, all seems to be proceeding well.

But this morning, I became concerned about my bigger blood parrot.
    This fish had a few little dustings of brown blotches when I got it. I assumed it was just the way it was. But today I noticed that the brown has grown and spread and now I'm concerned about this fish as well.
    Both BP's are very shy and hide a lot. Generally the only time I get to see them is from a distance and if I sneak up on the tank. but my observations have been that they are both eating well and are active.
    Still - could someone give me an opinion on what, if anything, is going on with the coloration on this BP? Is it normal? Could he possibly be stained from the 'new tank brown algae syndrom' that is pretty heavy in this tank right now? Or do I potentially have a problem with a sick fish

It took forever, but I finally got a photo of the discoloration on the bigger blood parrot

smaller BP and sev - marked color difference. this fish has always been more orange where the bigger one is an apricot color.

Thoughts? Do I have a fish in trouble?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is normal. My previous BP had a black line across the back that grew over time. BP are a cross with either A. citrinellus (midas) or A. Labiatus (red devil), and both species show these same variances.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 09-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor
    That is normal. My previous BP had a black line across the back that grew over time. BP are a cross with either A. citrinellus (midas) or A. Labiatus (red devil), and both species show these same variances.
    Oh I SOOO hope you're right. I'm a little paranoid right now because so many things have gone wrong with my perfectly planned tank that didn't go perfectly well

Have been worried that the high temps may be putting too much stress on him and the other fish.
    thanks for the reassurance.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    I'm afraid I would not be so easy to pass this off as nothing. He should not be sitting there with his face downward in a subdued position. He looks ill to me. I do not see a black line, I see blotches all over. Some parrots do get pigmentation in their skin as they get a bit older. But, I would not expect to see it come on all at once and all over the fish.

The pic at the bottom are the parrots I had that died a couple years ago (into their 8th year.) Check the bottom one and you will see the pigmentation I'm talking about.

Parrots have been known to get black spot disease. The 5 I have now have never had it but one of my earlier parrots did a couple times. I always suspected it was stress related but there really is no known cause, as far as they know. I suspected high nitrates. But this is small specks all over the fish and pitch black.

Now I am debating Velvet. Not that I can see it that well but Velvet appears as goldish/brownish area's but it's treated just like Ick is ......it's a parasite. So.........I don't know. If Ick was in the tank, it's possible that Velvet was too. But it should have been taken care of with the Ick treatments.

Frankly, I don't know what in heck it is. But I think he's sick.

The origin of blood parrots is a mystery because they don't want us to know. Suspected parents are below. I suspect you have a gold severum mix and the orange one may be the red devil.

Severum (Heros severus) and the Midas Cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus) or the Red Devil (Amphilophus labiatus)

Gold Severum (Cichlasoma severum) and Red Devil (Cichlasoma erythraeum)

Midas Cichlid (Cichlasoma citrinellum) and the Redhead Cichlid (Cichlasoma synspilum)

Severum (Heros severus) with the Red Devil (Cichlasoma erythraeum)

Red Devil (Cichlasoma erythraeum) +Gold Severum (Cichlasoma severum)

Red Devil (Cichlasoma erythraeum)+Green Severum (Cichlasoma severum)

Red Devil (Cichlasoma erythraeum)+Quetzel (Cichlasoma synspilum)
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I'm afraid I would not be so easy to pass this off as nothing. He should not be sitting there with his face downward in a subdued position. He looks ill to me. I do not see a black line, I see blotches all over. Some parrots do get pigmentation in their skin as they get a bit older. But, I would not expect to see it come on all at once and all over the fish.

I'm worried too, however, the only reason he is pointed down is because he was swimming toward the bottom when I snapped the shot. I have to get a shot of him when I can because he hides whenever I come near. they both do. Normally, he's flitting around just like the other BP and is not tipped. Both BPs have buddied up with the Sev and frequently swim and play together. But the color splotches have absolutely increased this past week - which is why I am concerned. otherwise, he acts fine

The pic at the bottom are the parrots I had that died a couple years ago (into their 8th year.) Check the bottom one and you will see the pigmentation I'm talking about.
    Unfortunately, I can't open any of those links. not sure what's wrong. I can only view the thumbnail

Parrots have been known to get black spot disease. The 5 I have now have never had it but one of my earlier parrots did a couple times. I always suspected it was stress related but there really is no known cause, as far as they know. I suspected high nitrates. But this is small specks all over the fish and pitch black.
    Nitrates in this tank are very low - around 5.

Now I am debating Velvet. Not that I can see it that well but Velvet appears as goldish/brownish area's but it's treated just like Ick is ......it's a parasite. So.........I don't know. If Ick was in the tank, it's possible that Velvet was too. But it should have been taken care of with the Ick treatments. Heat treatment would cure Velvet? Because that's all I'm doing in this tank now, is treating with heat. Copper from the copper safe is almost completely gone per the test this morning.

Frankly, I don't know what in heck it is. But I think he's sick.

The origin of blood parrots is a mystery because they don't want us to know. Suspected parents are below. I suspect you have a gold severum mix and the orange one may be the red devil.

Severum (Heros severus) and the Midas Cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus) or the Red Devil (Amphilophus labiatus)

Midas Cichlid (Cichlasoma citrinellum) and the Redhead Cichlid (Cichlasoma synspilum)

I could try to net him and put him in QT but then do what? The shock of moving could kill him and besides, the tank is so big and he's so fast I don't think I could net him without a real struggle and stress him even more.
    I guess all I can do is leave him be and hope for the best.
    this is so discouraging ... but I really appreciate your response.

0 Not allowed!
    I have enlarged your photo and even used my magnifying glass.......still can't tell. That area of red all down his back bothers me some too.

He might just be ticked off over the high heat, too. Not all fish appreciate high temps. Or medication and high temps.

How many more day is treating necessary?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs

On the severum parentage, I have my doubts simply because I haven't read anyone being successful at breeding a severum with a parrot, which you should be able to do. Also, not a lot of SA cichlids interbreed with CA cichlids (festae can interbreed with CA cichlids as one exception). There are so many postings and pictures of hybrids from CA cichlids which lends to the credence that the BP should be more in line with CA cichlid lineage.

Although, I did find an interesting site about creating a blood parrot, and it was stated that there was a mistranslation from Cantonese when trying to decipher information about creating blood parrots

http://gregthecrazyfishguy.wordpress...arrot-cichlid/

Note: SB = short body, SRS = Super Red Synspilum

In the posters own words,
    The myth of the severum in bp in my understanding comes from a lot of poorly translated websites and misnaming the particular fish crossed with SRS in the process as “gold severum”. This fish (again, just my understanding, you’d have to speak cantonese to really get a good picture), referred to as “jin gang ying wu” is a ‘sport’ed cross of midas x red devil that exhibits short body charachteristics. Therefore, people in asia started refering to this fish as something that roughly equivocates to “gold severum” in the respective languages, as it is a golden or red fish with a SB midas shape and shortened spine, which makes it look very much like a severum.

Coincidentally, “jin gang ying wu” translates to “macaw parrot”, which is the reason we today refer to them as “parrot” cichlids.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 10-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    It might be. With all the mystery surrounding these fish, we will most likely never know. There is a lot of bad information about them, too. Especially in the older articles when the fish first hit the market.

I know they breed with Flowerhorns and Convicts. They "may" spawn with Severum but if any fry come from it is another story.

If I had a larger tank, I'd like to have some King Kongs but that isn't gonna happen.