· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Discus question

Hybrid View

1. Default Discus question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I have six discus in a 60 gallon tank. recently removed the ug filter and have left the gravel in. have two hob filters, aquaclear 50 and penguine 350. Installing my eheim 2215 today. This tank has been cycled for about 5 years, but the discus are new. Only other members in tank are 4 clown loaches. I had been feeding live worms as the discus would not eat, now they will eat flake food but no pellets. The loaches will eat everything as fast as possible. I think the discus would eat the pellets but they dont seem to be able to find them in the gravel. My question is: should I just slowly remove the gravel completely, so they will see the pellets. Should I just give them flake and some occasional frozen blood worms. I have been doing a 20% water change almost daily. I am willing to remove the loaches if needed to not have them so competitive for food. All advice is appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    Which filter media in your tank is currently cycled? Are the jobs?
    How old, what size are these discus?

I would take out the loaches at the very least until you are familiar with your disci but I'd consider a permanent rehome.

I'd consider bare bottom because it will be easier to keep clean.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the hobs have been on tank about two weeks. the discus are about 3 inches diameter. i see that the loaches are also eating the stuff in the gravel as well, so i thought they are helping with clean up. they have all been together now about two or three weeks and everyone looks well. sometimes it looks like the loaches swim right into a discus as if to brush into them, but no nipping or chasing going on. I would need to wait to remove the gravel until i am sure i have cycled all the filters enough correct? I only had an undergravel filter with two power heads for 5 years. If i rehome the loaches then i still need something that does some clean up dont I? I am now concerned if I add something new instead of the loaches I might have other problems. I do not have a quarantine tank

0 Not allowed!
    your discus are still juvies. loaches are not a good idea as they will out compete the discus for food. gravel traps too much food. bare bottom is best and sand later. 20% wc's are really not enough. at least 50% every other day. once they grow past 4-5", you can cut the wc's to a few times per week. never do small wc's. I have adult wilds and do 70% every 4-5 days. when installing new filters, you must use some of the media from the old filter or your tank will go thru another cycle. or leave the hob's for a few weeks after you install the Ehiem. 6 adult discus in a 60 is at the limit. you can add some cories or small tetras but loaches get much too big. it will only cause stress with the discus.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend getting this book:

URL REMOVED

After reading this book I figured out exactly how to keep my Discus in optimum health and grew them into healthy large adults who are now breeding and raising their own babies. Such a beautiful sight you wouldn't believe. My fav fish of all time for sure. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 09-14-2012 at 12:52 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. Nice try buddy
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff