· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Questions About Guppy Breeding

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All, i have my tank with both male and female guppies.

I see there are some pregnant females and i would like to transfer them to a separate tank (5 gal.) so the other fish would not eat the fry. please look at the "maternity tank" and let me know if i should add/remove something.

Also, can somebody tell me when it would be a good time to transfer the females to the "maternity tank"?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd pack the plants tighter.

0 Not allowed!
    +1
    More cover sums it up really, More cover = More survivors IME.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maternity box with java moss for fry cover. You will see the eyes of the fry in the clear patch of her belly 48 hours prior to birth. When you do box her. Once you see a female giving birth record the date and she will do so in 28 days again like a clock at 78F.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You have a good maternity tank, but I could suggest some things from experience.

You're using a sponge filter, so it's ok to use free floating moss for cover. Java works great because it requires no special care at all and provides lots of surface area for fry. Any plant that provides cover is great, but free floating moss I've found is the best when faced with the following point.

Substrate. You really don't need substrate in the fry tank, you'd do better without it. Excess food could get lodged in the bottom and since your fry can't find it, it'll rot. The bottom is also easily siphoned for debris using a nylon sock at the end as netting for fry when there isn't any substrate.

Lights. This one is tricky, some fry are okay with light, some don't care, but some absolutely hate it. Research your fry's preferences, but in my general experience I've learned most of my fry are less stressed in low light situations as opposed to high light.

CYCLE WITHOUT FISH FOR THE LOVE OF POSEIDON

Currently in the process of moving all of my tanks, everything is down for now!