· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Rainbowfish Suggestions

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 29 gallon tank and I am contemplating getting a strictly rainbowfish aquarium.

I know I can't have many (if any) of the bigger rainbows like M. boesemani or Turquoise. But I know I can have some neon rainbows, but is there any other type that could work too?
    But can you guys give me some suggestions of many a mix that I could add and not be overstocked? Or is getting Rainbowfish for this size aquarium just a horrible idea? I am open to any ideas!

Here's the dimensions: 30-3/16"L x 12-1/2"W x 18-3/4"H
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by kattiq; 02-25-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    MacCulloch's Rainbow( Melanotaenia maccullochi) only reaches about 2 1/2 inches, they are relatively drab compared to other rainbows, but they were among the first to be imported. They have pink-olive scattered on their sides. I haven't seen any in LFS though.

Threadfin rainbows (Iriatherina werneri) reach about 2in and are pretty skinny, they are durable and are relatively adaptable to water conditions. They look really good when put with other colorful tetras and such.

Another is the Celebes Rainbowfish( Marosatherina ladigesi) which is another slim body rainbowfish that reaches less than 3 in. They do well in peaceful settings, and remind one of a more active bigger, colorful version of a silvertip tetra.

There are numerous Melanotaenia that are infrequently reported that reach a small size that are suitable for that tank.

Al these require regular rainbowfish care and should do fine in a 29 gal. Choose tankmates with care, and good luck hope you can track some of these down.
    Last edited by hydra01; 08-12-2012 at 02:18 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    With your tank size, I would stick with the blue eyes. Rainbows like to be in schools and are strong swimmers. I had some in my 55 gallon and found my tank too small for them. They would need the 6 ft length tank to be happy, I think.

Or simply stock a large school of the neon rainbow. They're the size of a large tetra.

4. Default Raibow Choice

0 Not allowed!
    I would go for a few Praecox (Dwarf Blues) and maybe a couple of Madagascans

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Praecox rainbows would make a wonderful addition to your tank and they are so colorful! Powder blue and red fins... So pretty!

0 Not allowed!
    They have probably stocked by now since this thread is 9 months old.