· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default My 10 G NANO project

0 Not allowed!
    hey guys,

i am starting a 10G nano for my first time, this should be a great adventure. the nano will only consist of inverts and corals.

the setup:
    10 gallon tank with a Acrylic top with cut outs for air
    IO mix-i heard that this brand causes algea problems but its all the store had at the moment.
    hydrometer
    160gph ebay power head- will replace with korilla nano soon
    5 gu10 led lights 3 blue 2 white- on order
    Aragonite sand- 10lbs
    for live rock im getting some from a guy on craigslist $3/lbs or 44/lbs for purple liverock- this im getting tonight roughly 7-10lbs to start
    here is the link for the live rock- please do tell if you think its worth it or not :)

my lights for cycling till i get my GU10's wire and delivered
    Last edited by Hpimichael02; 11-05-2011 at 07:02 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure about that live rock in the link. You have to look closely at it. If it is porous, than it should be OK for $3/lb.

When you get your live rock, I would suggest cycling your tank with the lights off and even cover the tank to make it completelty dark. As your live rock cures the algae and most all bad hitch hikers will die off that way. It will not effect your cycle and will help you aviod nasty algae outbreaks
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so i got my live rock from a SW store cost more but worth it , it was tan with allot of light green so it looked better than the other, i have only 5 pounds in there now i will add 5 pounds of dry rock next month once its done curing.

he is the pic with my home made 32 5mm LED set up

i had an issue with my salt, it would completely dissolve all the way and i mean i shook the heck out of the 5 gallon jar let it sit for an hour and it did dissolve more, but there was still salt in the bottom, any ideas why? im using instant ocean and it was like a brick when i opened the bag.???

also my cheap power head has a air suction feature as it suck air from above tank and through the water stream , should i have this active so it blows bubbles to help aerate the water???

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't run air into the tank. No need for it. I would strongly recommend getting a cheap powerhead to stick in your bucket for mixing your salt. You really should mix your salt for 24hours before using it in your tank.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the advice i stopped the air, and i turned the lights off. im just worried about the salt level. :(

0 Not allowed!
    keep a close eye on it. Also, if I recall correctly you have a hydrometer, you need to have someone with a refractometer test your water, or they need to test a sample at a known salinity to find out how much that hydrometer is off so you know how to accurately read it. Swing-arm hydrometers are not very accurate at all, and need to be "calibrated" by the method I just mentioned. So, if you test a sample of water that is known to be 1.025, then whatever your hydrometer reads, you will know by just how much it is off. So, for example, if your hydrometer reads that sample as being 1.028, then you know you will have to subtract 0.003 from every reading you take with it to ensure you have an accurate reading.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today has marked 1 year in the saltwater side of things for me. My 10g has been sitting with water and crushed coral substrate. Well one year and I'm ready to do a full hardcore nano. I'm planning on taking my 10g to about 8 by adding an internal sump area, this tank will take sps mainly, led lighting(DIY) and 15 lbs of rock(5 live), will be starting this tomorrow with the canopy and then adding water and cycling- after that I will be adding my 9 Sps frags that are currently in my 55 mixed reef.
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock