· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default Brhino's 75g Supercommunity Aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to my new journal for my new tank!

I'm calling it my "supercommunity" tank because it's going to be a larger, (hopefully) better version of my current 29g planted community tank. More plants, more fish, more species, but nothing you wouldn't put in a tank in the 20-30 gallon range.

This journal will begin at the beginning, which is today. Today I brought home the tank and stand that I found on craigslist for 100$. It needs a lot of work to get it where I want it before I actually set it up, and I'll detail it all in the journal.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with the tank. I am looking forward to reading about its progress.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    My wife (forum name Aminax), in her infinite patience and benevolence gave me permission to move some furniture a few inches, which will increase the width of the space currently occupied by my 29g from 46" to 50". With that in mind, I began considering my options for a new or used 75 gallon tank to replace the 29g. I don't have much money saved up right now, but I found this tank on craigslist for 100$ and it was too good of a deal not to jump on. The tank's not EXACTLY what I wanted, so I'll either have to modify my plans or modify the tank. Probably it'll end up being some of both.

Here it is in the basement, where it will remain as I work on it. The first thing about the tank that is less than ideal is the blue background. It's not paper or paint; the back sheet of acrylic is in fact blue. This would not have been my first choice. I'll need to decide if there's some way to change it, cover it up, or perhaps I'll just decide to go with it.

The next item of interest is the fact that this tank has an overflow box. A rather large overflow right smack in the middle, to be precise. It's a little different than overflows I've seen, as the tank is not actually drilled. The overflow is divided into three compartments:

The left compartment has the "teeth" at the top that allows the water to enter. It is seperated from the middle compartment by a divider that is open at the bottom. The middle compartment is seperated from the right compartment by a divider that is open at the top. The right compartment...

...has a port that opens back into the tank. No downward or outward ports anywhere.

What am I going to do with this? I haven't decided yet. Three possibilities:
    1. Use it as intended: obviously with a little work this could be turned into the tank's filtration system. Sort of an in-tank sump. You call this a refugium, maybe? I don't know, I don't speak freaky deaky latin. The downside is it that it takes up a lot of space in the tank.
    2. Surgical removal: well, it's just acrylic, right? In theory, I should just be able to remove the whole overflow box, and it'll be like it was never there at all. In theory.
    3. Modification: I had intended to put a rock pile in the back center of the tank, with openings and caves in the rocks for fish that are into that sort of thing. Could I modify the overflow to become part of that structure? Perhaps.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the tank, that's a great deal! My 75g has an impregnated blue acrylic panel for the back, it actually doesn't look bad imo, though I prefer black.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

No Message - korith another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy Good job with your filter - Cliff No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228 
    Now you must get a bigger tank : ) - Little Embers Careful! They're breeding LOL! - Little Embers thank you - Jacko Thanks for the rep - Cliff I couldn't find a new filter for you, but this is cool - Cliff 
    Thanks bud - Cliff Invasion of the Jackrabbits LOL! - Little Embers Merry X-mass - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Merry christmas to you to! - johndoe222 
    Happy Holidays! - Trillianne No Message - cer Birthday cake   :  ) - gadget228 Have a great birthday! - Tango Here's a shark for your backyard alkaline pond! - MLBfan 
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380 

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the tank! Good luck.
    26 gallon planted- 1 Black Angelfish, 1 Clown Pleco, Community of Ghost Shrimp
    3 gallon- Male orange VT betta "Mojave"
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pleased the tank comes with a flip-up canopy, it's one of the features I was looking for. Nice wooden stand, black acrylic canopy? Meh, let's go with it.

The canopy flips up on two large acrylic hinges. They're pretty beefy looking but there's a couple spots where the acrylic has broken and been repaired. There are two 40W T12 bulbs mounted to the hood, with twist ties wrapped around them. My, that inspires confidence! One of the bulbs has a spiral pattern in it, which in my professional opinion is "wacky".

Yeah, those lights and their wiring are getting removed. I think I'll pick up a modern fixture from Lowes or Home Depot and mount it up there somehow. I'll even install some of those DIY moonlights I keep threatening to build, now that I've got a nice roomy canopy to mount them in.

The stand is closed at the back, so any plumbing or wiring I do will have to have holes made for it. As you can see from the photo below, there's already some-

-what is that!? HEY GUYS THERE IS A POWER STRIP IN THERE! Bonus.

Awards Showcase

No Message - korith another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy Good job with your filter - Cliff No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228 
    Now you must get a bigger tank : ) - Little Embers Careful! They're breeding LOL! - Little Embers thank you - Jacko Thanks for the rep - Cliff I couldn't find a new filter for you, but this is cool - Cliff 
    Thanks bud - Cliff Invasion of the Jackrabbits LOL! - Little Embers Merry X-mass - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Merry christmas to you to! - johndoe222 
    Happy Holidays! - Trillianne No Message - cer Birthday cake   :  ) - gadget228 Have a great birthday! - Tango Here's a shark for your backyard alkaline pond! - MLBfan 
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380 

0 Not allowed!
    Those power strips are so handy! You'll enjoy that.
    26 gallon planted- 1 Black Angelfish, 1 Clown Pleco, Community of Ghost Shrimp
    3 gallon- Male orange VT betta "Mojave"
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Last, but not least (okay, yeah, probably least), is the five containers worth of "accessories" the guy insisted I take. Hey, you want to give me a tank and stand for a hundred bucks, I'll throw out some trash for you no problem.

Two boxes on the table, the one on the chair, and the two in front of the chair all came with it. Pay no attention to the rest of the junk in the picture, it's my basement! Someday it'll be clean, honest. Anyhow, first order of business will be going through that stuff and seeing what of value is there.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, well now with your better pictures I see the overflow box is not what I expected. It most certainly is a somewhat older style. I'd still use it. Honestly removing it is not an idea I would attempt, and unless you use it then it's just a huge waste of space. As for the blue background, you'll get used to it. I too prefer black, but when you get blue at the right price... Once you get it planted you'll hardly notice it anymore. I like the canopy, none of my tanks have decent canopies so I'm jealous, but that is some mighty jenky wiring. and yeah, the twisty lightbulb with the "power twists" I imagine there's a reason that style never caught on... Youll have no probs fixing that I'm sure, and it looks like you have plenty of room in there to mess around.

This should be a pretty interesting journal, I'm looking forward to following it and seeing what you end up with, should be pretty darn sweet!
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kinda like the way the overflow box thing is. Put some plants around in each corner of it- or maybe do a little rockwork- like, caves maybe so it all ends up being realitivly 'flat' across the back (do you know what I'm saying?) and it may not look so bad. You can always just leave it, and if you don't like it in the long run-take it out.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta