· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Exclamation Need New Filter for 36 Gal, opinions needed

0 Not allowed!
    So after 3 years of being in college without an aquarium (mum killed everything in it when I left for school) I finally brought it back with me after a visit to the rents. Well my filter is having issues and I can't seem to fix it. I have an Aqua Clear 110 on my 36 gal bowfront and when I had it running before I left it was SILENT, however this go around it is super choppy and loud, the filter is now 7yo so I figure it's just getting old and getting loud, it still filters the water perfectly. I've done everything that has been suggested in this situation (taking it apart, cleaning EVERYTHING, clearing the impeller chamber) and still it's super loud. So I've been looking into getting a canister filter since I am planning for this tank to be a show tank and don't really want the filter to be visible anyways. So far I've compared Eheim, Fluva and Marineland canister filters and think I want to go for a Eheim 160G (it's a square looking one). How are these in regards to sound? Ultimately I'm looking to get the quietest filter possible since I have to upgrade anyways, I might as well splurge. I would go for the Eheim classic, but it's not self priming which is just a pain and the Ehaim ecco just doesn't have the water turn over rate I'm looking for. My 110 is at 500 GPH, so I don't want to downgrade from that if I can help it. I've also thought about a DIY wet/dry sump filter, but I don't know how those are in regards to sound and price and if I'd be better off buying a pre-built. So canister filter suggestions based on GPH and sound would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm planning for the filter the be installed in my aquarium cabinet, the space available is 13x12x24"
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

Default Did you replace the impeller on your Ac filter?

0 Not allowed!
    Model Name & # please? There's more than one 'square one'.

Btw - Priming is only an issue for the classic series the very first time you prime it. After that, It self-primes. You should be aware thought that even the 2213 is over 13.5" high.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's just called the Eheim Ultra G Series 160 Model on Dr Foster and Smith :/. It's not the Plus model that you can program. And height ins't a problem, I have 2' of height space :)
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And I have not replaced the impeller, if I'm going to buy a new filter part and I don't really want a HOB filter as this will eventually be a fully planted show tank and I want hide my filtration as best as possible, so I might as well get a new filter and keep the AC110 as my backup :). Also George Carlin is the , well...was the , but still! One of my fave quotes lol. If that's the case with priming an Eheim classic, how does the classic compare the the Ultra G?
    Last edited by KingFisher; 01-15-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

0 Not allowed!
    That filter is 60$ cheaper at Big Als btw
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyFishie
    My 110 is at 500 GPH, so I don't want to downgrade from that if I can help it.
    That AC when full of cycled media prob runs about half that GPH right? I can assure you it is not pushing 500gph.

So you are more realistically looking for something along the lines of 200/250 gph and considering the amount of media EHEIMs hold - a slower flow is still effective.

I have never used the G series but I do think a 2215 would certainly be adequate for a 36G tank unless you are ridiculously overstocked.

I love the classics. A lot less bells and whistles = A LOT less to go wrong. Far cheaper & They just work & keep on working.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    I love the classics. A lot less bells and whistles = A LOT less to go wrong. Far cheaper & They just work & keep on working.
    How loud are they? I hear a lot of mixed reviews on the sound output of the classics. How hard is it to get primed the first time you set it up?
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 classics, Three are in this room and I cannot hear them.

I literally have to put my hand on them to determine if they are running since I cannot see the output.

The initial prime is simply a matter of getting the siphon started in the input hose to fill the canister. Once that is accomplished, Both the hoses stay full due to the quick connector valves and it is easy to refill the canister from the tank [Because the hose remains full of water it never loses siphon again]