· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Jon's 5.5 gal shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    Just picked up a 5.5 gallon tank to try a planted shrimp tank. I've been reading some of the other guy's journals and I'm inspired. I am literally and figuratively starting with a bare tank so any suggestions on substrate, low tech plants, heater, etc. will be very much appreciated!

I am thinking of using a sponge filter that will be seeded in my other tank... any recommended brands or are they simple enough that it doesn't really matter?

For the shrimp I am looking at ordering some RCS online (eventually...)

0 Not allowed!
    Any sponge filter will work. For small 2.5 and 5g tanks I use sponge filters that suction cup to the side of the tank. Can usually pick them up on ebay for $2-3 shipping included. The cheap price does come at a cost, usually delivery takes a while. You could order a sponge filter from kensfish.com , decent prices and has a lot of variety.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I would probably just get something from the lfs then... if they have anything decent.

Seems like a lot of people on here like eco-complete. Is it shrimp-safe?

I've also read that java moss and java ferns are good beginner/low tech plants and the shrimp like the moss... correct?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use Eco Complete and the shrimp are fine with it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy
    Thanks! I would probably just get something from the lfs then... if they have anything decent.

I've also read that java moss and java ferns are good beginner/low tech plants and the shrimp like the moss... correct?
    Yes, I have shrimp tanks that have eco complete in them, perfectly safe. The plants you mentioned are fine. Can't go wrong with java moss. Any plant works. Try this link http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php large database of plants, can look at low light plants category.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy

You'll be fine with eco-complete as far as I am aware.

Moss is almost essential to have with shrimp. They love it. Java moss is hardy and easy to grow. Try getting some branchy wood and fixing moss to it with thread, it will soon grow in.

You could also try some cryptocoryne varieties such as beckettii or parva. Both are slow growing, stay small, and are relatively undemanding in my experience. I have a low-tech shrimp tank (30 litres) which has been a real success due to the advice on here.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help! Firefly- your tank is amazing and your thread was probably the most influential in my decision to try a shrimp tank!

I wasn't able to find eco complete locally but I found some flora max that was reasonably priced. Will that be OK?

I also picked up a heater and a HOB filter. Couldn't find any sponge filters... The filter may be too strong for this tank, but I like it because it uses bags instead of pre-made cartridges and is more "customizeable". If the flow does end up being too strong I will use this filter on my other tank... How much current do RCS like?

0 Not allowed!
    Cheers, that's very flattering

In my (limited) experience so far they are not keen on high flowing water. You want very gentle circulation that moves the water around the tank gently, rather than blowing around. You ideally want the shrimp to be able to swim anywhere in the tank without being blown around - this will also ensure they aren't sucked into the intake (which should have a sponge pre-filter cover on it if you're using a HOB).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~