· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Upgrading tank

Hybrid View

1. Default Upgrading tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys. This is my first post so bare with me.
    I am a beginner so I will probably be asking a few questions

I've recently upgraded from a 60L tank to a 110L so fa everything is going ok. All the equipment is new including filter and heater.

So to my question;
    Because I've bought a new external filter I'm currently running my pl internal filter alongside it to try and get the bacteria to build up in the new one.
    The new tank has been set up for a week this way and seems fine.
    How long shall I leave the internal filter running in the tank before removing it?

Thank you

-Rocksta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    generally speaking 6weeks in the minimum. but if you have no reason to remove the other filter...then leave it running?

what are the filters?
    current stock?

that'll help in knowing if your filtration is adequate and a more accurate seeding time.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The internal filter is a fluval U3 I think and the external is a aquamanta efx 200. (You probably wouldn't have heard if it. It's a uk only supplied filter)

The tank currently has 2 ottos, 5 zebra danios, 4 guppies, 1 molly and one recently rescued betta.

Also I have 6 harlequin rasboras
    Last edited by Rocksta; 12-12-2012 at 11:11 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I googled your canister filter and the U3 [I have never used an internal] and here's what you can do:

The contents of the bio media chamber of the U3 [The bit between the sponges that contains the {Likely ceramic} biomedia, Correct me if I am wrong here] Can be put right into the canister to seed it.

What this will do is transfer the primary residence of the BB to your canister filter.

Keep in mind that this must be put into the bio media chamber of the canister to be effective.

I hope this is clear & helpful but ask if it's simply confusing lol.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So put the noodle like things from the internal with the noodles in the external?

Also what are bio balls?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes.

Bio balls are plastic balls with all sorts of indentations. They catch some debris and house some bacteria.

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksta
    So put the noodle like things from the internal with the noodles in the external?

Also what are bio balls?
    Exactly.

This will transfer the vast majority of your Beneficial bacteria into the canister filter [A bit of it lives on the sponges of the U3 also but they are primarily mechanical filtration].

It's important to situate the used media before/or mixed in with the media you are trying to seed. The water needs to flow over the old media before the new media for it to seed BB to the new Biomedia.

These are Bio balls:

They are 3.81cm in diameter and used as biomedia primarily in sumps/wet/dry systems.

Hope this helps.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.