· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Glass Catfish White Spots

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I've had my glass catfish for about 4 days now. At the moment I only have three. I plan on getting three more to make up the numbers since I know they like to be in bigger groups (they only had 3 left in the petstore at the time)
    Anyway, I'm cycling my tank with tetra safestart. I did fishless cycling for a month and ran into lots of problems, however I think it did some good and my tank is in pretty good condition.

One of the glass fish is much smaller than the other two and has white blotches on its body. I remember seeing some when it was in the petstore but I think they may have multiplied. The fish itself is acting ok, a little shy but he's very keen at supper time. He also swims about quite happily at night with the other two. The other two seem fine and look very healthy. I'm keeping an eye on all the nitrite/ammonia/nitrate levels and they are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm

I know ammonia should be 0 but I'm cycling with Tetra Safestart which keeps the levels unharmful until it cycles.

What can I do? Is there something I can buy to medicate the fish, is it something that might clear up on its own or does it mean imminant death?
    Like I said, the fish is acting healthy and has only just recently started fighting the others for food, its not acting like its sick but I have no experience with tropical fish diseases. Please advise.

*Please don't complain about there only being three. I will add more once the tank has had more time to mature with the SafeStart, hopefully 1-2 weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    When you say "blotches" do they look like grains of salt or do they cover more area than that?

What temp is your tank at?

Whether or not you are using Safestart, you are still cycling with fish in the tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    When you say "blotches" do they look like grains of salt or do they cover more area than that?

What temp is your tank at?

Whether or not you are using Safestart, you are still cycling with fish in the tank.
    This is not an actual photo of mine but this is about the closest I can liken it too. Although the spots on mine don't look as aggressive. I'm reading that it could be Ich and may be treatable.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2302/1...d22453d9_b.jpg

My tank is at 25c at the minute.

I know the dangers of cycling with fish but i'm testing the water everday and as I said, the fish had signs of these marks on it when I was in the petstore, so I don't think it's been brought on by my tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another question. The catfish is still showing signs of sickness. I read that it could be white spot disease and i've been treating the tank with medicine for it. However upon further research, i've concluded that it's probably a bacterial infection of some sort. I've read turing the heat up often kills this type of stuff.
    I'm just worried that it might harm my glass catfish if I do.

I have glass catfish and glowlight tetra in the tank at the minute. I read glowlight actually like higher temps than my tank is currently at (25C/77F)
    so I'm more concerned about the catfish.

All the other fish are doing great, no signs of stress or sickness. One of the glowlights is currently fat with eggs so maybe the temp increase would lead to fertalising. Not really ideal since my tank isn't big enough for another litter but hopefully it wont happen :p

Is it ok to turn the temperature up to around 82F to help my little catfish get rid of the disease or is it dangerous to do so. Also, if I can how should I do it, gradually increase the temp 1 degree, every couple of hours so it doesn't cause shock?

Thanks

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My glass cats do just fine in my 80 degree tank and the temp sneaks up a few degrees in the summer so I think you'll be fine with a gradual increase in temp if you needed to do that.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    Another question. The catfish is still showing signs of sickness. I read that it could be white spot disease and i've been treating the tank with medicine for it. However upon further research, i've concluded that it's probably a bacterial infection of some sort. I've read turing the heat up often kills this type of stuff.
    I'm just worried that it might harm my glass catfish if I do.

All the other fish are doing great, no signs of stress or sickness. One of the glowlights is currently fat with eggs so maybe the temp increase would lead to fertalising. Not really ideal since my tank isn't big enough for another litter but hopefully it wont happen :p

Is it ok to turn the temperature up to around 82F to help my little catfish get rid of the disease or is it dangerous to do so. Also, if I can how should I do it, gradually increase the temp 1 degree, every couple of hours so it doesn't cause shock?

Thanks
    First of all, to my knowledge, heat doesn't fertilize eggs - I wonder if you think it will lead to spawning between 2 fish?

I agree with the above poster - if your fish have something that heat will help, than doing it gradually is the key - however, if you are already using meds, then increasing temp at the same time is dangerous because both methods remove oxygen from the water - I wouldn't do both - if meds appear to be working than stick with that and follow the directions on the package.

Also, it also won't help if you are medicating for something if you don't really know what it is.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would lean towards a bacterial infection as well. I dont know about your store, but at my pet smart, glass catfish are pricey and sensitive to water conditions. I would not get those until your tank is finished cycling.

Many diseases that fish get are simply brought on by a compromised immune system due to stressed fish, stressed for any reason. If fish are happy their immune system will defend from many diseases.

I know that its tough to accomplish, but if you can, closely inspect the fish at the fish store before buying. If you see signs of trouble then dont buy them. risking infection to the rest of your tank is not worth it.

As far as fighting infection goes, I find the best cure is to raise the temp to 82-84 degrees and add some aquarium salt. (but in many cases its too late for the fish). Some pet stores also recommend adding melafix. I tried this once, but the smell of it was in my house for weeks, and it freaked me out some. plus my filter has activated carbon mixed in the filter floss and that removes the effectiveness of most medicines, so I didnt continue treatment. But putting a small dose of that in your tank to help shouldnt hurt anything either.

Let us know how things turn out for you.
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012