· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Question Bamboo Shrimp Feeding Green Water.

0 Not allowed!
    The title suggests that this should be posted in the invertabrate forum, but my questions are regarding the effects of distilled water on a freshwater tank.

I am planning on getting a bamboo shrimp for my ~30 liters(7.9 gal) fluval well planted ebi tank.
    Ph 6.4
    Ammonia 0
    NitrItes 0
    NitrAtes <5
    Tank has been running for 1 year. It house blue pearl shrimps, Crystal reds, and snails.

I have kept a bamboo shrimp in this tank before for 3 month before, but it died after i removed the second filter I had running on the tank. It goes to show you how important water flow is for the bamboo shrimp. This time around i will keep a second filter.

Here is where I need help. I would like to supplement the bamboo shrimp with green water. I have a hydroponic setup with carnivorous plants. The tub is filled with distilled water that has truned green with algea. I was thinking of feeding this to the bamboo shrimp.

Is the green water still consider distilled even though it has suspended algea in it?

Will adding 10ml of green water once a week effect the tank's ph?

Do you think this will work or harm my tank?
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it's not distilled anymore, otherwise it wouldn't be able to support the algae that colour the water green.

Such a small amount is not likely to touch your ph. I do wonder if it would work as a food source for the shrimp. I'm not familiar enough with those. Perhaps you need to look into infusoria as well?

0 Not allowed!
    I figured. The algea must be feeding off the roots and waste of the plants.

I did some research on green water and bamboo shrimp. This one guy said he puts enough green water in his tank to make the whole tank green. He said it clears up in 6 hours cus the shrimp eat it all. I was going to do small amounts to see what happens, but i do not want my tank to crash and kill my percious shrimps.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    30 liters isn't likely to crash with small amount of green water.

I think I'd risk it. Buy the shrimp but also buy some liquid fry food just in case. Get a baster or pipette or something so you can aim the green water. If it doesn't seem to work you can use the fry food until you can find alterntanives.

But, just my opion.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most shrimp do just fine picking and filtering out small food particles from water. Why not just finely crumble flake food and let it swirl around the tank and let the shrimp get it ? Why the trouble of green water?
    55 Gallon Freshwater Tank (semi-planted) 48"x21"x13"

Video of 55GAL Tank - DEC 2012

0 Not allowed!
    I already have powder fry food and powder food for that i feed my baby shrimps. I just wanted to try out the green water since I have so much of it. I figured why not as long as its safe.

I might as well just let the bamboo shrimp acclimate to the tank for a month and then give the green water a shot and see what happens.

thanks for the advice and help.

I ll post pic of the bamboo shrimp when i get hopefully this weekend
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavis1979
    Most shrimp do just fine picking and filtering out small food particles from water. Why not just finely crumble flake food and let it swirl around the tank and let the shrimp get it ? Why the trouble of green water?
    A lot of filter feeder shrimp also slowly starve. I can imagine gogi looking at that green water and wondering if it could be put to good use.