· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Rena XP3 (large) canister vs 2nd AC110

0 Not allowed!
    Opinions on the Rena XP3 vs a 2nd AC110 on my 75 gal FW. Ready to purchase the 2nd filter so I can start fishless cycle. I know the 2 AC110's are more than adequate, but would the canister be that much of a better choice (it is twice the price of the AC110)?

Later on, I am also considering adding a Hydro V sponge filter (125 gal) to be powered by a SunSun YT-8000 battery powered air pump (runs on constant AC power and kicks in on DC when power goes out), in case of power outages. We don't have many outages, but it would be worth the expense for peace of mind for oxygenation and bio-filtration.

Opinions please.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Both options will work well for you

I prefer canister filters over HOBs. The XP3 will give you some more capacity (more bio filter media) and you can even put a in-line heater on the return line. If you position the return of the XP3 correctly, you will get just as much oxygenation in the water as compared to a HOB

I would recommend you go with the one that best fits your budget if that is a concern for you.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff,

This is what Dave Waits suggested as far as flow with the Rena. Is this what you mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, something along those lines. But I would point the return line of the rena up towards the surface of the water enough to get very good water movement at the top to help maintain good oxygen levels in the water.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    It would be a Rena if the choice was mine to make.

Awards Showcase

For your AC tank! - Northernguy Nice job on the tank! - Brookfish I sure hope this helps! lol Good luck! - Northernguy congrats on the fish - Lab_Rat This is a lucky Neon! - Northernguy 
    Such a good fish Mommy! lol - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Sorry about your Guppy! - Brookfish i hope the guppies are okay :) - Demi ^_^ this is a guppy? lol - domjd05 
    Happy B-Day :) - Agassizii Happy Birthday =D - Aeonflame Happy Birthday! - Brookfish for an excellent post - Lab_Rat thanks for the gift XD - genocidex 
    This makes 2, 8 to go! - homemadepopcorn thanks so much for coming to my aid! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    I have AC 50's on my 29 gallon, and Hobbs turned me onto the Rena for my 55. I have to say I LOVE the Rena XP3. It was more money, but as soon as I hooked it up and got it going, I was amazed at how quiet and powerful it was. I really love it.

I think you'd be okay with either--but if the budget allows, I'd go for the canister! :)
    29 Gallon Tank : planted. stock: 2 GBR, 13 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 otocinclus, bn pleco
    Journal

6.6 Fluval Chi: planted. stock: 1 male halfmoon betta
    Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    It would be a Rena if the choice was mine to make.
    +1 to this
    HOB for Mech [primarily] and the canister for it's Bio media capacity is an effective combo.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks to all -- I think I will bite the bullet and go with the Rena XP3. I have been able to make all my other equipment decisions, but this one was tough. I know proper filtration is a requirement, not a luxury.

Your advice is most appreciated.

I will be starting a journal soon regarding set-up and the canopy I built myself (I'm very proud of it).

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    a AC110 and the Rena both great working together!!!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, I suggested angling it down because it was going to be used with a HOB to achieve a small circular current around the tank. I figured the HOB would provide enough surface-tension breaking for a good O2 exchange.

With the Cannister alone, yes. Angle it so it breaks the surface tension.