· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default 9yr old Jack Dempsey, how to prepare myself?!?

0 Not allowed!
    My jack dempsey is about 9 years old, and he hasn't been acting more odd than usual, but I'm scared nonetheless. I know the average livespan is anywhere up to 10 years. He's eating regularly, swimming around, just being my plain old Jack. I'm treating him currently for ick, and the treament is going well, its cleared up almost completely with only the first treatment today.

I'm just wondering what is a jack dempsey's behavior like before they are about to die? Do they act differenly? Swim differently? I feel that i'm freaking out anytime I see him breathe harder than normal, or swim akwardly. I just want to try to prepare myself for when his time comes, because its going to break my heart. Any information would be amazing!

--Lucy

2. Post pictures

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot to post pics! Sorry for the poor quality.

jack.jpg

jack1.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept JDs so I can't help much there.

Just Curious what had caused a 9 year fish to catch ich. Did you recently add some new fish to his tank?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did add two little red mollies on saturday, that was probably the cause. These are the first new fish i've added in a lot of years, all of my fish are very old.

0 Not allowed!
    Have you added an airstone to his tank? Anytime medication is used, you need to increase the oxygen. Adding those mollies caused more harm than they did good. Did you put them in the tank for him to eat because I'd be surprised if he didn't. If so, do not give him live fish to eat. Give him a good brand of cichlid pellets.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't add an airstone, i'll pick one up tomorrow morning, thanks for the advice. He's eaten pellets and sweet peas today, so I don't think he'll eat them just yet. They weren't meant for that, they've actually made him more social, he's been out of his cave a lot more than usual, swimming around and exploring. The other fish in the tank are all bottom feeders and never come out, so he was extremely used to being king of the tank with no one else. Although you are right, I shouldn't have added the fish, it was a risk.

0 Not allowed!
    You can just drop the water level and save yourself a few bucks.