· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Thinking about getting an Angelfish

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is a 29g will 6 Lemon Tetras, 3 Skunk Cories (will get 3 more once the LFS gets them back in stock), and 2 Cherry Barbs. I'm thinking about getting one or two Angelfish. I'm wondering if you think it is manageable in my tank. Thank you for any thoughts.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my personal opinion a 29gal tank is not large enough for two angles. If you have 2 of the same sex there would not be enough room for them to have there own space so they would most likely fight and it is to small for a breeding pair. When Angles are breeding or have fry they are extremely territorial and hard to get along with.This is just my opinion I'm sure someone else will come along soon and they may have a different take on it
    30 gal Freshwater
    1 young Angel, 6 Pepper Corydoras, 5 Harlequin Rasbora 1 Bristle-nose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not an angelfish keeper but know that you definitely won't get away with two in that sized tank. One on its own might be ok but you need to check it isn't a bully.

Personally, I'd prefer to just up your lemon tetra and cherry barbs. You have very low numbers of these schooling fish. I have the same sized tank as you and I have 18 cherry barbs (soon to be upped to around 25 as I need more females). I reckon if you have more than adequate filtration and have a solid maintenance routine you could up both schools to 15, get your extra cories, and forget about the angel.

That's probably not the advice you want of course. Just my opinion.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say forget the angelfish, have you seen one fully grown before? They are very impressive fish and larger than most people assume.

I'd recommend getting more lemons and barbs and perhaps look into Dwarf cichlids. Bolivian Rams are an excellent beginner cichlid!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    Personally, I'd prefer to just up your lemon tetra and cherry barbs. You have very low numbers of these schooling fish. I have the same sized tank as you and I have 18 cherry barbs (soon to be upped to around 25 as I need more females). I reckon if you have more than adequate filtration and have a solid maintenance routine you could up both schools to 15, get your extra cories, and forget about the angel.
    30+ fish in a 29g tank definitely seems like it would be a disaster or lead to one, since the tank is not heavily planted. It only has java fern, so it can't really be considered planted at all really.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    I'd say forget the angelfish, have you seen one fully grown before? They are very impressive fish and larger than most people assume.

I'd recommend getting more lemons and barbs and perhaps look into Dwarf cichlids. Bolivian Rams are an excellent beginner cichlid!
    I'm not really sure why you are saying I need/should get a beginner cichlid. From my experience Bolivian Rams, Blue Rams, Kribensis, and the like don't exactly mix well with Corys with the small foot print like the 29g has, since they all like to be in the bottom quarter of the tank.

I never actually planned on getting two Angelfish; just wanted to see what would be said about the idea :) . I might go with the plan to get one Angel, up the school of Lemons and Cories. Even if I don't go with an Angel, my plan is to have one center piece fish that can thrive on its own.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

0 Not allowed!
    In that case get rid of your cherry barbs. They should only really be kept in heavily planted tanks - or tanks with plenty of shady cover for them. That'll free up the space you need for your plans.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~
    In that case get rid of your cherry barbs. They should only really be kept in heavily planted tanks - or tanks with plenty of shady cover for them. That'll free up the space you need for your plans.
    I don't think I agree with them only needing to be kept in a heavily planted tank. I was able to breed cherry barbs with the only plant being java moss; I digress.

I'll probably keep the Cherry Barbs till they pass away under my care. I will definitely up the number of Cories to at least 6, but I have to wait for the LFS to get more in(I bought the last 3). The Lemon Tetras I am on the fence on upping the number, because they no longer shoal in my tank, which means they feel safe.

I'll keep looking for alternatives to the Angelfish center piece, but it seems capable of being a stocking that could work.
    - 29g FW - Community

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    I meant they're happiest with cover, rather than requiring it to breed. Just an opinion/observation.

You sound like you have a plan though. I look forward to photos when you get the angel.