· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mean guppies!!

Hybrid View

1. Default Mean guppies!!

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 male guppies, 2 male platys and 3 neons in a 20 gal tank. The problem is the 2 male guppies constantly harrass the platys. I also have noticed the platys chasing each other. Is this normal or a male thing? I purposely didn't get any females, because I didn't want a tank full of guppies. Thanks!!

2. Question Agressive guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, originally posted in wrong thread. New to forums also.... I have 2 male guppies, 2 male platys and 3 neons in a 20 gal tank. The problem is the 2 male guppies constantly harrass the platys. I also have noticed the platys chasing each other. Is this normal or a male thing? I purposely didn't get any females, because I didn't want a tank full of guppies. Thanks!!

0 Not allowed!
    All boys = good call :

How Much cover is there in the tank? Adding some might help to lessen the interaction.

Any pics?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry, can't figure out how to get pic from phone to thread. I have 3 fake plants and one large 8 x 6 shipwreck in the middle. The ship does have a 2" bubbler under it so the fish don't go in it much.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a bunch of guppies before, and then they had a 100+ bunch of guppies and i can assure you that, that is normal guppy behaviour. It's not aggressiveness, it's just playtime!
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it were me with your tank I get more guppies. You only have 2 and that's not a proper school. If you increased that number to at least 5 I doubt you would continue to have issues. Even if there was aggression it would be only among the other guppies and spread around among the 5 which wouldn't hurt anyone too much. A little aggression isn't always a bad thing. It only becomes a bad thing when you see nipped fins or dead fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Chansons is normal with livebearers of both sexes. If no damage is done I would not worry

0 Not allowed!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    wow for me the platy are bullying the guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I listened to the people in the place I purchased the tank and a lot of what they told me is at least partially correct. I have learned from reading this forum, that my initial set up and cyle of the tank was not done right. That could be the reason I have lost fish and also why they are "mean" to each other. I need at least 3 more guppies and 3 more neons to make them feel more at home. I'm 3 weeks into this so hopefully the worst is behind me.