· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Other methods of removing nitrates/phosphates?

0 Not allowed!
    Setup: 240g reef and 300g shark/eel tank. Both connected to a custom sump with fluidized K1 media.

Designed an algae scrubber for 240sq" and expandable to 480sq". Sized per amount fed guidelines.

However, it was recommended to use dr tim's pearls or a sulpher/crushed coral setup.

Has anyone used the pearls or sulpher/crushed coral setup and still stuck with a scrubber?

My understanding is the pearls turn nitrates/phosphates into bacteria that is removed by the skimmer.

I don't know enough about the sulpher / crushed coral setups except sulpher... The one's I found were on huge pond style setups.

The scrubber uses light to grow algae, algae consumes nitrates/phosphates and is removed. Does not eliminate skimmer.

Which way should I lean to for my setup? All of them are around the same price for me to build/buy. Experience anyone?
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    I know nothing about saltwater and try to hide from threads here. I was wondering if a phosphate reactor would work, tho.

0 Not allowed!
    Dr Tim's pearls (based on what I have read) is a form of carbon dosing. I have tried similar forms of carbon dosing. Based on my experience using Vertex Bio-pellets (similar type product to Dr Tim's Pearls), I had found a there are just as effective as having a sump filled with fast growing macro algae.

The biggest difference IMO, is carbon dosing by using biodegradable polymers or polyhydroxyalkanoates (spelling ???) comes with some risks to your water quality as well as providing increased risks of cyano, while you will not have these risks with macro algae nor will you have added expense.

I am slowly becoming a greater believer in using macro algae (in the sump) in set-up with a lot of live rock as I am getting better and better results in my water quality. I have been using this approach in both of my set-ups and my nitrates never get higher than 2ppm. The skimmers in both set-ups do not pull as much out of the water as they used to either

There's a little more info in the below link

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...laymans-terms/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I know nothing about saltwater and try to hide from threads here. I was wondering if a phosphate reactor would work, tho.
    Never hide from the dark side of SW :-)

A phosphate reactor can work. The reactors are the same setup using bio pellets or dr tims pearls.

@cliff - thanks for the information. I have been reading and posted around regarding my questions. So far I am still leaning towards my original scrubber design.

I read really mixed reviews about the water quality changing or getting the amount to use wrong. Also read people using pearls noticed their SPS coral didn't do well and they moved to another tank.

Thank you for the reply! I will make up my mind soon so I can get everything ordered

0 Not allowed!
    Vinegar, Sugar, Vodka, biopellets, reefbiofuel, zeovit

0 Not allowed!
    If a SW aquarium is setup with sufficient live rock and is allowed to mature then nitrate reduction will happen naturally. As for phosphate reduction, you can use a fuge. or a GFO reactor. Personally I run GFO for my phosphate removal.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    If a SW aquarium is setup with sufficient live rock and is allowed to mature then nitrate reduction will happen naturally. As for phosphate reduction, you can use a fuge. or a GFO reactor. Personally I run GFO for my phosphate removal.
    I personally don't believe in dosing aquariums as that is only a temperay fix. I prefer making the setup support itself.

LR is the best way but the hard part is the price. I will need 700lbs at $3 a pound is $2,100 not including tax. That is out of the question and will stick with the LR I currently have.

After a lot of reading and research I decided to stick with my algae scrubber setup I am going to build. My custom sump has a huge fuge in it and the scrubber will just help even more. I have a small one I built on my 300g and have never changed the water in it. All the values are perfect.

It is good to know of the other methods out there. I think my friend could use a GFO reactor or even dose. I will point them to this thread

Thank you for the information