· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Cannot seem to have a fish survive more than a week

0 Not allowed!
    I am having alot of trouble keeping anything alive in my saltwater tank. My setup is as follows: 55 gallon tank with crushed coral substrate, approx 25lbs of cured live rock, an aquaclear 70 hang on back filter with just mechanical filter in it, and a powerhead aimed at live rock for more movement and bio filtration. I have a marine light which is on about 9 hours a day. Through my whole issue my water parameters have been: PH 7.8, Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 10ppm or less, salinity 1.024 and temperature is 78 deg.

I know i need to eventually get a protein skimmer however i have not had more than two fish both under an inch in length in my tank at the same time so there isnt really to much of a bio load (live rock is probably biggest load)

My first two fish were both ociallaris clowns and one only survived 2 days and the other started showing signs of excessive slim and was going white, eventually died after 5 days. I researched this and determined it may be brooklynella disease. So i left the tank fishless for 4 weeks after this to allow parasite to die. After 4 weeks i put a bangaii cardinal in and he seemed to be doing ok for a week so i placed another bangaii cardinal in and within 3 days both were dead. I started getting sick of wasting money so my newest addition has been a little cheap damsel fish and two hermit crabs. they have been in the tank for 3 days and now the damsel is at the bottom not looking to good.

I have talked to lfs and they do not know what the problem is.

The only other note is that the damsel seemed to be breathing heavy the whole time, i was wondering if it was getting enough o2. I do not have an airstone but i have lots of surface turbulance with my filter and powerhead.

Please help!!!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    My first recommendation is to get your test results verified. You may have a bad kit or somesuch. Bring a water sample in to the FS and see what they get.

You seem light on live rock for filtration, but if those levels are correct that shouldn't be the problem. Your pH is a trifle low, but that also should not be the problem...

Are you using a water conditioner? What are you using for top up water/water changes?

What are you feeding?

Your live rock is not a bio-load, it is actually your bio-filtration. Personally, I would double the amount of rock in the system.

I run a 50gal reef tank and haven't run a protein skimmer for a year now.

Perhaps you want to try buying your fish from a different store...might be bad stock...? Just throwing ideas out there.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Also, the symptoms do sound a lot like marine ich. In the early stages, it can look a lot like brooklynella. Once ich is in your tank, it can stay there, dormant for as long as 3 months. During that period of time, other fish can become infected which can also start the whole cycle over again. The below link may help

http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.co...yon-irritants/
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just to answer a few questions. I feed them frozen brine shrimp. Besides the one clownfish there have been no visible signs of disease. I originally fille the tank with conditioned tap water and now do my water changes with RO water

0 Not allowed!
    How are you acclimating your fish into your tank? Not acclimating properly good lead to the quick deaths from stress. And how long has your tank been setup? False readings on your test kits are also possible.

Unless your fish are showing signs of ich before you buy them, ich generally will not kill a fish in 5 days or less.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your salinity level is at 1.024 which is a bit higher than most shops run at. Most distributors and shops run between 1.019 and 1.021. Check to see what your local shop runs at. Evaporation can cause the salinity to increase. Just because you have live rock does not mean that the live rock will create a totally balanced system. The one weakness of live rock is that it is unable to process metabolized proteinaceous wastes. Quality live rock will have a heavy bio load of life that creates protein wastes. Protein wastes in the water occupy space in the matrix of the water molecules capacity to hold free oxygen. Coupled with a slightly higher salinity level a protein load and a higher salt level lower the waters capacity to hold free oxygen in the water. Combine this with temperature as another factor and your tank would be suffering from a low readily dissolved oxygen level which slowly kills the fish causing the listlessness and discoloration issues which you have seen. This could also explain why upon adding a second fish the two both perished. Keep in mind that the organisms and bio in the live rock are considered life load and consume oxygen. If your shop can do a redox test on your water this may show up in that test. You would want to transport this in a vial or container with no air so as to not influence the results. A quality skimmer would solve this in my opinion.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I acclimate them by placing bag in my water same as my freshwater fish so the temps equalize and I drip in my water into the bag using a airline with a knot tied in it. I have my own test kit and I got Lfs to test so it's not a failed test unless my salinity tester is wrong. I was thinking lack of dissolved o2 as well but wouldn't the fish go to surface of water to try to breathe? Also would an airstone help this as its cheaper than protien skimmer