· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default oscar laying down???

0 Not allowed!
    my oscar the past two days has been very lethargic and mostly laying on the bottom not but is laying right side up? This is my first oscar and i got him to eat a little yesterday but I don't know what to do or if this is normal? I checked the nitrite, ammonia, ph, and temp and all are normal. I raised the temp from 78 to 80 to see if that helps his activity but it hasn't please help what should i do ?

0 Not allowed!
    What is your water maintenance routine? Did you test for nitrates?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do 10 percent water change weekly and no I ran out of test solution for nitrate and need to go get a new one, but it usually remains between 0 and 5ppm.

0 Not allowed!
    Put the temp back.

78 is perfectly acceptable and FFS quit messing with tank parameters if you don't know if there is even a problem at all.

Stability is KEY for fish and messing with their tank temp for no good reason is not going to lengthen their lives one bit.

Oscars do get moody and just chill out at times and it doesn't mean anything is wrong, Having said that...

How long have you had him [Guessing he is a new arrival]? Which tank size is he in? Other inhabitants? [I am guessing there was no QT?] Filtration, Water parameters [Full rundown]

EDIT: 10% WC is not going to be NEARLY enough for the long term - Just so you know.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-11-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's in a 125gal, with a JD and large angelfish, This is only about day 10 or so with him in the tank. there is a cascade 1200 canister, a marineland bio wheel for added circulation and surface agitation, and bubble stone. The ph is steady 7.4, Amonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0-10ppm, and ran out of nitrate solution but is always between 0-10ppm. As far as the 10% weekly change, I disagree that it is not enough my tanks have very healthy parameters and to keep a steady tank like you suggest, I do not do larger water changes than 15-20%. and no clue what you mean by qt?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, The O is still in new surroundings which could explain the sulking, In time he will be more comfy and get out more.

BTW - TrAtes are not the only reason to do WC, Replacing trace elements, Minerals and electrolytes as well as ridding the water of fish hormones & Organic waste are also benefits of WC. In the end, It adds up.

QT 101 is something you should become familiar with IMO. It may save your entire tank one day.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have nitrites you are in trouble. I'd do a 50% water change now to get those cleared to 0. Did you cycle the tank?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK great I was hoping that was the case, but you do think 80degress is too high? My smaller cichlid tank does really great with this temp? I appreciate the help, this oscar is beautiful and I want to be able yo provide the best tank possible. I misspoke earlier the reading of the trites are 0-1 not 0-10 that is just how my test kit reads.