· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation Black neon, red sore?? need help

0 Not allowed!
    So I've had 4 black neons in the community tank since i started the tank about 3 months ago. Well one of them has by its head on the one side, what i could describe as a fish flake stuck to it...its not tho lol it's a reddish/pinkish tinge. anyone have any ideas? I thought it might just be a sore from one of the other fish or my catfish(tho he rarely ever moves even at night..) cuz it looked a little fleshy when i get a glance of it. I treated with melafix with hardly any result.(didnt read about melafix/pimafix till afterwards) should i treat with something else or how should i handle this?
    ~Michael

P.S. my boyfriend says flush it but I dont have the heart to do that lol
    Project Rebirth 20gal tall: 4 glowlights, 2 male/5 female guppies, 3 dalmation mollies, rainbow shark, otto, 2 algae eaters
    Project Utopia 37 gal: 4 angels, 2 gouramis, 4 black mollies, 4 blue platys, 5 halloween platys, striped raphael catfish, 6 albino cories, 1 panda cory, 4 black neons, 8 neons, 2 glass cats, 2 bristlenose plecos
    Shrimp Oasis 5 gal: Currently work in progress, only have plants in it yet but hopefully blue shrimp soon!!!

0 Not allowed!
    pictures would really help a lot, but if no pictures, then general information
    about your aquarium could help, such as tank size, tankmates, maintenance schedule, water parameters(if available), etc.

and please, never flush a fish. no animal deserves a slow agonizing death by exposure to burning chlorine and toxic sewer waste. besides that, the fish may introduce diseases into natural waterways against which native species do not have any immunity.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 - water parameters would be useful, as would be a large water change - very often clean water can help heal things if its an injury or something.

OMG I just looked at your signature and see how many fish you have in a 37gal tank - that's a LOT. You have very heavy & inappropropriate stocking in that tank.

I agree with all the questions (minus tank size LOL) you have been asked - please post!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First, I'd just like to clear up the flushing thing was meant as a joke, he also has fish and never flushes them, he just likes to irritate me by saying that lol. Well i've not had a problem with the tank really since i got it setup in the beginning of september(looked at my records), except one neon and one cory that died when i first introduced the fish and a slight ich problem...which i believe came from the pet store cuz my subsequent trip they were treating most tanks with meds(I'm surprised cuz i never heard a bad thing about their fish)...but since then its crystal clear and all the fish seem to be doing well. I did use my master kit today after a water change this morning and this is what i got:
    pH: 7.6
    Ammonia: 0.5 ppm
    nitrite: 0 ppm
    nitrate: 40ppm
    ----the tank is about 80-81 degrees
    ---- i do weekly water changes about 25%
    ----seachem comprehensive added weekly, liquid co2 added daily(whether it really does anything tho I'm not sure lol)
    -----also the filter cartridge has been being replaced every 16-20 days
    -----it is a planted tank with java moss, a java fern, wisteria, pennywort, watersprite, a sword plant and a tiny bit of hornwort(just bought and it looks almost dead, hoping it makes it)
    None of the fish seem to really bother one another but I do plan on getting a 55+ gallon in the near future(6 months-1year) which i will be moving some of these fish too most likely.

The black neon doesnt look as bad to me today but I'm not sure, will try to post a pic tomorrow.
    ~Michael
    Project Rebirth 20gal tall: 4 glowlights, 2 male/5 female guppies, 3 dalmation mollies, rainbow shark, otto, 2 algae eaters
    Project Utopia 37 gal: 4 angels, 2 gouramis, 4 black mollies, 4 blue platys, 5 halloween platys, striped raphael catfish, 6 albino cories, 1 panda cory, 4 black neons, 8 neons, 2 glass cats, 2 bristlenose plecos
    Shrimp Oasis 5 gal: Currently work in progress, only have plants in it yet but hopefully blue shrimp soon!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also forgot to say that i do planning on lowering the ph in the next week and working on getting the temp down till around 78 because i know 80-81 is a little on the higher side for a community tank