· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Exclamation Fishless cycle 21 days in still no nitrites

0 Not allowed!
    Hey gang after cycling our 20 gal with fish we learned our lesson and are now trying to cycle 2 more tanks using a fishless cycle but so far have had no results. We are at a loss for what we are doing wrong. Here is some back history for both tanks that we are trying to cycle.

40 gal- 2 AC 70 filters (carbon was removed in both and I added extra biomax to one), 2 100 watt heaters set to keep the tank at 82, live plants, 2 pieces of drift wood, bubble wall. Current readings are ammonia 3, nitrite and nitrates 0, ph 7.6

Here is the timeline for the tank:

11/04- began the cycle of the tank without substrate. Dosed the tank with ammonia up to 5ppm.

11/9- Drained the tank in order to add the substrate and driftwood. Redosed back to 5ppm.

11/10- Removed enough water to add live plants without making a mess then put that same water back in. Ammonia still 5ppm.

11/16- Removed enough water to add more live plants without making a mess then put that same water back in. Ammonia still 5ppm.

11/21- I did a water change to lower the ammonia to a 3.

Other then those times we have not touched the tank.

26 gal Bowfront- 1 Aqueon Quietflow 30 filter, 100 watt heater, temp is set at 82, bubble wall. Current readings are ammonia 3, nitrite and nitrates 0, ph 7.6.

I don't remember the exact day we started the bowfront but it was within 2-3 days of starting the 40 gal. I did originally over dose the ammonia in the bowfront to like a 5 and about a week into it I realized my mistake and did a water change to bring it down to a 3. Yesterday I added a bag of biomax material that was in my cycled 20 gal for 2-3 weeks in the hopes of gaining an instant cycle and so far it hasn't done anything.

I think that covers everything with the tanks. We use an API master test kit to test the tanks. We have well water which I have tested with good results (ammonia 0, nitrites and nitrates 0). We use API stresscoat + to treat the water in all of our tanks. We used Ace hardware janitorial strength ammonia to dose the tanks ( I did the shake test to make sure it was correct). Everything I read says we should be done with the cycling by now or close to it and yet we have gotten no where. We really want to do this right and are trying very hard to be patient. We even asked the lfs if they had some cycled media we can have and they said they don't give it out. Do I have the temp to low? Did I screw something up somewhere?

Anyone have any ideas? We know which fish we want and are ready to stock the tanks as soon as they cycle!

0 Not allowed!
    Don't drain or conduct water changes during your cycle, you don't need to and it will throw off your ammonia number so it doesn't stay a constant. When the ammonia hits zero, dose it back up again, repeat, repeat etc once a day usually.) When you get nitrites they will climb and your ammo should go to zero, just keep dosing ammo. When you get zero ammo and zero nitrites, test for nitrates, they will be off the chart more than likely. Dose ammo once more and if your ammo and nirites are gone completely inside 24 hours, you are cycled. Do a large water change to get your nitrates below 20ppm and you can add fish. So, basically-- DO NOTHING WITH TANK JUST KEEP DOSING AMMONIA WHEN IT HITS ZERO- don't use the stresscoat either until you get fish.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 11-25-2012 at 06:26 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Only time I did any type of water change on either tank was after I was recommended to by members of this forum because I overdosed on ammonia. I've read so many posts on fishless cycling I can probably spout them off word for word on command yet I am still clueless as to why we haven't gotten any nitrites yet.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    You did over dose ammonia - a 40 gal with 5 ppm is too much. The issue isn't the ammonia bacteria but the future nitrite consuming bacteria will have issues.

Cycling takes time but can be speeded up by increasing the temperature to 82 F and adding extra air. Some cycling takes six weeks and a few cases longer. Not seeing nitrites is not a big issue after three weeks - that happens. Try dosing around 2 ppm and wait; only add if that level falls. Don't do water changes nor clean the filter. The filter will cycle.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know the feeling. I'm two weeks into my fishless cycle and still no sign of nitrites. The temp is up high and the tank has a waterfall that hits the surface to create bubbles in the water, which i'm told helps as well. Expected to have some results by now as well. All we can do is keep hoping.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    You did over dose ammonia - a 40 gal with 5 ppm is too much. Try dosing around 2 ppm and wait; only add if that level falls. Don't do water changes nor clean the filter. The filter will cycle.
    +1!

Exactly, Cermet nailed it.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. The 40 gal is currently at 2.5 to 3 after a water change to bring the ammonia levels down. So I guess I will restart the clock on that tank. So I guess that puts me 4 days into my cycle so I should begin to see the ammonia dropping and some nitrites any day now? I think I've read Ladyhobs say somewhere that you should see nitrites in around 4 days.

As for my 26 gal what should my ammonia level be to get a proper cycle going? It is currently at the same level of the 40 gal.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolsen27
    I think I've read Ladyhobs say somewhere that you should see nitrites in around 4 days. Um..You might want to revisit the fishless cycling sticky.

As for my 26 gal what should my ammonia level be to get a proper cycle going? It is currently at the same level of the 40 gal.
    2ppm will do you just fine.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I will leave it along then.

As for rereading the fishless cycling post it clearly states that in 40 gal tanks and bigger dosing to 4-5ppm ammonia is okay. Though now I am told its not okay.

As for the 4 days until nitrites should start to show up I saw that or something close to it maybe 4-5 days being said in a bunch of posts that are now "archived". That said its not a big deal. I realized there was a mistake made and now my cycling clock is started over. At least I know both tanks are back on track now!

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, after all this time, you do not have nitrites because no ammonia has yet been processed. From what I've read, you have that same ammonia reading all this time until just lately when it's started to drop.

You should see nitrites after the ammonia drops to 0 and you have redosed maybe 2 times ....at the most 3x.

Make sure you are using dechlorinator and test your pH to make sure it hasn't dropped too low. And let the tank alone now so it can do it's thing. I see nothing wrong with dosing to 4-5 myself. Smaller doses are for smaller tanks. You have two good filters going and that also helps.