· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Holiday

1. Default Holiday

0 Not allowed!
    Hey people,
    I am going on holiday to Germany in two weeks for 1 month. Now i have a 30 gallon long with the following:
    - 8 neon tetras ( intend to increase this when i come back)
    - 1 Albino Bristle-nose
    - 1 Albino long-fin Bristle-nose
    - 3 adult guppies and what seems like 50 fry

It is also heavily planted
    I feed once a day alternating between micro-worms, frozen bloodworms (once a week) and catfish algae wafers (more like tablets)
    I also have a zucchini in there most of the time. (yes i do replace it when it starts to become soft and breaks apart.)
    My question is how should i feed my fish?
    Should i get a friend to do it every couple of days, or should i get a food block?

0 Not allowed!
    It's easy:

* Simplify the menu.

*Leave enough to feed 3 times each week.

* [This is important] Portion the food for them. They show up, Dump the food and they're done.

This way there is no way to screw it up, IE Over feed.

Depending on their ability to follow instructions [People vary] You may be required to hide the fish food so they are not tempted to do you or the fish any 'favors'.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 11-17-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks i will probably do that
    Just for interest, what is your opinion on food blocks

0 Not allowed!
    No thanks, There are no circumstances I can think of where I would leave food in the tank for a week or two.

The last couple times I was out of town for 5 to 7 days . . . I just left them unattended. All was well and they ate well when I returned. :-D

Your time frame is a bit outside my comfort zone for that though.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Will you arrange water changes during this time? I'm not sure mine would be in a good state after a month without one. Never tried it though.

Not to hijack this thread (sorry) but I'm going on holiday in January for two weeks and I'm going to get a friend to look after my tanks, do one water change at the end of week 1 and keep checks on everything. She doesn't keep fish but is very conscientious and I know she will follow my instructions to the letter.

Default I do mean just nomal feedings BTW, Not some oversized portion.

0 Not allowed!
    Good point and I am glad you said something because I read that as "being gone FOR two weeks IN a month" Oops!

The reason I cut the food amount in half was to minimize leftovers and waste but I would actually consider reducing feeding to twice a week since it will be longer before a WC.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for quick replies
    I will arrange a friend to come in and feed them the portions that i will set out.
    Thank you again