- Fishkeeping, writing and playing the flute
- About Me:
- I love aquariums and fishkeeping, and hope I can help people out based on my personal experiences.
- The Thief Lord, The Freedom Factor, Unwind Series.
- Why do you like AC Tropical Fish:
- This forum has such helpful and informative people!
- Aquarium 1:
- 15 gallon planted aquarium. Still a work in progress. One betta fish and will be adding some tetras/other small schooling fish.
- Aquarium 2:
- Planning out a 5 gallon. Possibly a shrimp aquarium. Or maybe just a hospital tank if I have enough self-control to leave a aquarium empty. :P
- How I got started with aquariums.:
- I started when I was really young when I recieved a goldfish from a fair and was so excited. Now of course I can go on for ages about how it is very wrong to sell fish as prizes.... but I won't for the sake of shortness.
- Favorite fish:
- Betta Splendens
- Why I like fish::
- The idea of trying to maintain a closed ecosystem - for some reason just is amazing. Not just fish either, I love it all. Beneficial bacteria, live plants, water changes, breeding, and all of the other things that can come with an aquarium.
- Best advice:
- There are many people who just throw a fish in a bowl and be done with it. They say fish are always dying, yet they do not do their research or even know what the Nitrogen Cycle is. Fish do not belong in bowls or very small aquariums. An aquarium is not a "slice of the ocean, lake or a pond" but a closed enviroment that requires special care to stay healthy and is never really stable in the way a lake, pond or ocean is. And the smaller it is the harder it is to maintain that balance.
- Other pets:
- A guinea pig(Honey) and a Cocker Spainel Dog Mix(Lily)
Any time any person tells me they own fish, I automatically ask them a barrage of questions. "Please tell me it is not a bowl." Do you know what the Nitrogen Cycle is?" "Do you have a filter? What kind?" "How often do you replace water?" "How many fish do you have?" etc etc. Then I continue a discussion for about 20 more minutes before I realize I tend to be the only person that cares.
• 15 gallon long: One betta fish. Still working on it. Will be a planted aquarium.
- Total Posts
- Posts Per Day
- Thumbs Up Received
- Thumbs Up Given
- Last Activity
- 01-06-2014 09:16 PM
- Join Date
View Ivy's Blog
on 01-04-2014 at 12:58 AM
Attachment 31461Attachment 31462Attachment 31464Attachment 31463
I was at my LFS today, and couldn't resist getting this fish. (Fyi I already finished the fishless cycle no worries) I have always wanted a white or yellow betta. And at least in my area they seem rather rare, so I was very lucky to come across this one. I still have to get some gravel and live plants, but so far he looks fairly happy in
on 12-03-2013 at 11:18 PM
So, I was at my LFS today and noticed this filter for a really good price. I will plan on posting a report/review in a few months or so.
Anyhow since I am not going to be using carbon, I am replacing it with some filter floss, which I bought a massive bag of for around $3.00 today, and a extra biological sponge from my last aquarium.
And on a second note, I am re-soaking some Mopani Driftwood from my last aquarium. I love this piece and am planning on using it as a
- Number of Photos
- Number of Comments
- Number of times photos viewed
- Disk space used
- Last Photo Uploaded
- Last Comment Posted
Thats a nice looking tank! Pretty blue on the betta also. Very Lucky betta, glad he is not shoved into some bowl.
- Total Points