- British Columbia
- University Degree
- Why do you like AC Tropical Fish:
- There's always more to learn!
- Aquarium 1:
- 12 Gallon Eclipse tank, heated and filtered - home to my first betta, a lovely orange and blue veiltail
- Aquarium 2:
- 6 gallon Eclipse tank, heated and filtered - home to my second betta, a rescued blue and red crowntail
- Aquarium 3:
- 6 gallon Eclipse tank, again heated and filtered, home to my third betta - another rescue, this one a turquoise and red crowntail
- How I got started with aquariums.:
- I decided to get a betta a put him in a teeny little bowl, like my co-worker... then I did some reading... then I got him a much bigger tank and equipment. The rest of the story tells itself.
- Why I like fish::
- They're beautiful, and they're smart!
- Best advice:
- Research the fish that you'll keep in your tanks and take them as seriously as you would any other pet.
- Other pets:
- 2 Cockatiels, the cuddliest, funniest little birds I've ever seen!
"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice." - Mamoru Oshii
- Total Posts
- Posts Per Day
- Thumbs Up Received
- Thumbs Up Given
- Last Activity
- 08-06-2014 01:07 AM
- Join Date
- Number of Products
- Number of Reviews
- Number of times Products viewed
- Last Product Uploaded
- Last Review Posted
Labyrinth fish, like bettas and gouramis, can be seriously injured or even killed by the use of BettaFix or MelaFix, the stronger formula. While other fish can tolerate melaleuca extract (the active ingredient in Betta/MelaFix) quite well, the labyrinth organ present in bettas is highly sensitive to it. The melaleuca can burn the labyrinth organ and at high enough concentrations or with enough exposure, can damage the labyrinth organ to the point that the fish cannot breathe with it. These fish cannot breathe using their gills alone and will suffocate as a result of this.
Many people have reported firsthand the sudden deaths of their bettas after using this product.
Given the above information, I cannot give this product, when marketed specifically FOR bettas a good rating or recommend it at all.
Also, note that melaleuca is a harsh antiseptic and an irritant, speeding the healing of torn fins and tissue by irritating the injury site to speed up healing. This would be similar to putting alcohol on a wound.
- Total Points
- Happy New year! A fish for your AC Tank