PDA

View Full Version : BN Questions

butterbean
11-09-2012, 12:21 AM
I have been reading about small Plecos I'm having some algae on my glass and would like to get an good algae eater. Would having just 1 be alright or should I have more? Will he get along with my other fish and Is an albino pleco harder to care for than a plain one. My LFS has both. Oh one more thing are they one of the sensitive fish without scales.Sorry for the multitude of questions (blush)

0 ammo 0 nitrites between 5-10 nitrates 8.0 pH

ScottishFish
11-09-2012, 06:31 AM
What fish do you have and what size of tank is it?

BN's can be kept singly with no problem. A pH of 8 is high so you would need to aclimate a BN if you got it :22:

butterbean
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM
3o gal ..1 angel..6 pepper corys...5 harlquins

Stlouisfish
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
One thing I have read many times here is that it's not a good idea to get a fish to do a job in your tank -

I would get one if you like them and think one would be a nice addition to your tank, but cleaning algae should really be the tank owner's job - just my 2 cents.

butterbean
11-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I agree with that ... Yes I very much wanted a bn pleco thumbs2:

Dennis Bissett
11-10-2012, 12:23 AM
You'll find the bristlies do a good job as juveniles, but as they get older they lose interest is cleaning glass and much prefer to cuddle a piece of zucchini

MuckyFish
11-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Magnetic scraper is best for removing algae from glass in my view.

My BNs are great and they happen to clean up the substrate and the solid objects.

+1 to zuchini and other vegetables, you also can feed them good algae pellets as well. I tend to break the pellets up and feed a few peices at a time. The young BNs seem to me to grow more quickly when they have access to vegetable as part of their diet.

gadget228
11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
I have a couple of adult bristle nose and around 100 fry with a pH level of 8.2 and they do fine so your good with your pH levels.

butterbean
11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I have a couple of adult bristle nose and around 100 fry with a pH level of 8.2 and they do fine so your good with your pH levels.

I bought a piece of driftwood for my tank but came to the same conclusion. My lfs has a beautiful display tank with fish they don't sell and there are 4 very healthy pretty BN pleco in it. Both the albino and dark ones.