PDA

View Full Version : Corys laying eggs

country_boy454
09-27-2007, 10:47 PM
I believe my female is trying to lay eggs! She is swimming around cleaning the plants and there are 3 other cory's right at her tail. She has three little round what looks like eggs between her two back underside fins. I have to really plump looking corys that i believe are females. They are just huge!! What do you think is she trying to deposit some eggs?

CAF
09-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Corys spawn in groups. Once they have spawned, if you want the fry, pull all the fish out of the tank. Or better yet, move all the corys to a breeding tank, then remove them after they have spawned. Good luck, either my corys or something else ate all of eggs when it happened. She will leave eggs everywhere!!!!

country_boy454
09-27-2007, 11:06 PM
ok. so ive found 12 eggs so far and she has them on every plant. i am currently trying to move the chinese algae eater to our 5 gallon with the one guppy fry that lived from the last drop. Come to think of it might as well put the two male guppies there too. Trying to get photos to post. will update when it happens.

CAF
09-28-2007, 12:28 AM
ok. so ive found 12 eggs so far and she has them on every plant. i am currently trying to move the chinese algae eater to our 5 gallon with the one guppy fry that lived from the last drop. Come to think of it might as well put the two male guppies there too. Trying to get photos to post. will update when it happens.

So... any pics of the happy event? ::looks around:: hmm.. I guess not, I'll come back later, this IS a delicate moment...

cocoa_pleco
09-28-2007, 01:14 AM
good luck!

ive successfully raised 2 batches of cory fry. technically my albinos laid 3 batches, but one time a JD fry decided he was hungry

calla
09-28-2007, 02:24 AM
my corys spawned just recently.... and I messed it all up unfortunately....

They were in the tank alone, so didn't need to worry about other things eating the eggs. After about 3 days the eggs fell off the glass surface, and after a couple more I could see no fry. I thought the eggs might be infertile and lead to fungus (as I learned here haha), so cleaned the tank...... while I was vacumming the gravel.... I looked closely and noticed tiny little corys trying to escape the suction.....

it was awful..

none made it...

so, be patient, they are teeny tiny and they hide.... don't get all gun ho and clean like I did. It was sad. :(

country_boy454
09-28-2007, 05:50 AM
well she laid 12 eggs that we could find. Now after a couple of hours we can only find the one egg. Is she done? Ive read they lay between 100 to 200 eggs at a time. They are in the tank by themselves.

CAF
09-28-2007, 11:16 AM
well she laid 12 eggs that we could find. Now after a couple of hours we can only find the one egg. Is she done? Ive read they lay between 100 to 200 eggs at a time. They are in the tank by themselves.

Do you see her swimming around being chased? If not she is probably done. The eggs can be anywhere, on or under leaves, roxks, decorations, the gravel, the glass, the heater, the uplift tubes, the suction tube of an HOB filter, the downspout of the HOB filter, etc. etc. etc.

The eggs are not always easy to find. If you believe they aredone spawning go ahead and pull them before they eat all of the eggs.

Dave66
09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Do you have snails in your aquarium? If so, the disapperance of those eggs makes sense.

Dave

CAF
09-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Do you have snails in your aquarium? If so, the disapperance of those eggs makes sense.

Dave

Nope... at least I didn't then. It was just the corys... ::shrugs:: I know it isn't SUPPOSED to happen but it did...