PDA

View Full Version : Colorful Beads?

fishlover-donita
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi there! I am planning to use crystal beads for my aquarium to add color into it. They look something like this http://www.crystalwaterbeads.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1491177. Has anyone of you tried this before? How does it look? I like how cute it appears on vases but I don't know if it will have the same effect for aquarium. Or what other things can I add to my aquarium that are not that expensive?

Brhino
11-04-2012, 01:45 PM
so... those are some kind of little spheres that swell up when placed in water? I think I've seen and played with some of those before, or something similar.

Personally I would NOT place those in a fish tank. I don't know what they're made out of, what they might leech into the tank. The posting says they're biodegradable. You don't generally want things biodegrading in your fish tank. Also, if these are what I'm thinking of, these things are pretty soft and squishy. A fish could probably nibble on them and ingest something.

If you want something shiny in your tank like this I would recommend marbles or glass beads. They're certainly more expensive but at least you know for sure that they're safe.

Cory Catfish
11-04-2012, 02:07 PM
If they are those thingies that grow in water they are NOT safe at all for a fish tank. I have bought those before and they contain many chemicals . Also they fracture very easily.

Rue
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Those larger glass 'stones' should be good. New marbles are fine too...(some old ones may have lead in them I think, you'd have to double check that)...

fishlover-donita
11-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I see. Yes, I am also considering marbles as accents. I was attracted with the price and the many colors that I can play with using those beads. I guess it's better not to have them. :)