PDA

View Full Version : LOCAL HOBBYIST TURNS........

rollie
06-16-2006, 03:49 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOCAL HOBBIST TURNS HIS PASSION INTO A BUSINESS
UNCLE ROLLIE SAYS FISH MAKE GOOD COMPANIONS

You can actully teach goldfish to jump through hoops, says Uncle Rollie, as he tours his aquariums."some of the big ones have personalities. they know me when i walk by"

seven months ago, raising and breeding fish was a 30 year long hobby for "Uncle Rollie". since then it has become his business, selling tropical fish, gold-fish and aquarium supplies right from his round hill home. Rollie says most peoples that come into the store hear about it through word of mouth. I"ve been in it so long most peoples know about me", he says.

In order to open up his new business, Rollie became one of 150 participants, from Kentville to Yarmouth, in the WVDA"s Loan and Ssve pilot project. The project gives low income earners four dollars for every dollar they save.Rollie had been saving for 3 years and received $4500.00 to start his new business, the maximum amount of funding given to participants.

Rollie originatrs from Hilltown in Digby County, although he had lived all over the Annapolis Valley since yhe age of 11. He"s traveled yhroughout much of Canada and the United States, learning his craft from top experts.

I"ve met some of the biggest names in tropical fish, he said. Rollie even takes in sick fish for family and friends and restores them back to health.

The aquariums that fill the small store contain fancy goldfish, platies, guppies, angelfish, barbs,snails and other varieties of brightly coloured tropical fish. There is one fish. however, that stands out above the rest.Uncle Rollie"baby" is one very large catfish from Digby, with razor sharp spikes that protect it from larger predators.

"You eat him, you"re dead", Rollie says, dipping his finger into the tank as the big fish surfaced to greet him. "He"s not for sale", Rollie explains. "I"ve had him for two years . When kids come they want to see my big catfish".

With new varieties and colours of fish to choose from, Rollie never seems to lose interest in his trade.

You wouldn"t believe it, he says, but thet are finding hundreds of new types of fish they didn"t know existed.

He also likes not knowing who will walk into his store from day to day."Some days nobody comes,"ne says.'OTHER DAYS THERE ARE SO MANY THEY CAN"T fit in the house...Yonu never know who going to stop by"

Uncle Rollie says fish make good companions. "You can keep them in the house...I do not have to go outside", he says. "They"re quiet...and they"re supposed to help calm you down"

Nonetheless keeping the business running and the fish happy is a lot of work. "You have to feed them everyday." says Rollie. "You also have to make sure there are not any dead fish in the water and treat any that are sick".

When ased which fish he likes best, Rollie doesn"t play favourites. "I like big fish, but it would be very haed for me to pick one." Luckily, he doesn"t have to.

THIS WAS IN THE PAPER THE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 9, 2004

Incredulous_Ed
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Wow. You really are famous. Congratulations on being in the paper!!

rollie
06-16-2006, 04:51 PM
oh that nothing.

been in the paper before to.

plus been on tv a couple of times.

Incredulous_Ed
06-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Wow, that's really cool.

DemonShark
06-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Lol what you do to get on tv ran down your hill naked? just playing with ya

rollie
06-16-2006, 10:29 PM
no , i know certain peoples.

like the other night i had dinner with a super model.

Incredulous_Ed
06-16-2006, 11:39 PM
uhhhhhhh...

NorthernBoy
06-17-2006, 04:12 AM
I bet Rollie. What was his name. hahaha

rollie
06-17-2006, 06:19 AM
no ,it was a her.

sorry ,will not say.

rollie
06-17-2006, 06:31 AM
no ,it was a "she"

sorry ,will not say.

rollie
06-17-2006, 06:43 AM
why, are you mad, because i did not want to meet you!!!!

so now you got to try to say something mean.

look at me, i just made "700" posts.

DemonShark
06-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Who me? Im not mad and you made 701 post lol

rollie
06-17-2006, 01:36 PM
not mad at you, demonshark. not mad at anyone.