PDA

View Full Version : general killifish info

hotshotdevil32
11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
So since the holiday catalogs are being shipped out a few days ago I happened to notice my young cousin looking at a product in the magazine known as fish in a jiff. as an avid hobbyist my interest was peeked and I took a minute to review the product. the items description stated that the fish in the kit are killifish (of which I have only general knowledge) and that you could hatch fish in minutes. I know that killifish lay their eggs in annual pools and that seasonal rainfall triggers their hatching. However this only my real information on this group of fish. I pondered order the kit for a short bit but I realized that as a aquarist who is constantly tinkering with his tanks I would never be satisfied with a $40 mail order kit. I figure that with a little guidance from this forum I could produce a much more stimulating experience raising killifish. So I come to you for basic information on
- killifish care
- hatching killifish
- reputable sources for eggs
- plants suitable for killifish aquariums

MLBfan
11-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't know much about killifish but there are many people on this forum that do. I suggest you read this first http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=69810

Aquila
08-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Killiefish are often chosen as a fish for breeding because of their short lifespan. If I remember correctly it's something like two years maximum. For the species to survive in nature they have to breed easily and whenever possible. The first suggestions that come to mind for a Killie hatching tank would be something with a lot of surface area and low water flow, and extra filtration if you can. Live floating plants like anacharis can help provide good hatching places and help dampen water flow in some areas. Just remember Killies are to dwellers so they will need some open space as well, hence the tank with more surface area.

William
08-25-2013, 11:25 PM
The lifespan of killis depend on the type and species of killis. Some seldom live much longer than 6-8 months while other species has what would be considered a normal lifespan for a fish their size.

It all depends on whether the species are adapted to a climate where the ponds try out for part of the year or not.