PDA

View Full Version : DIY Oxygenator Link

CAF
09-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Here is an article my wife wrote that I thought you might enjoy.

http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/pics/oxy.html

Dave66
09-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Interesting, your wife writes well. I've heard of that before, years and years ago.

Dave

CAF
09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Interesting, your wife writes well. I've heard of that before, years and years ago.

Dave
Thanks. In regards to years and years ago... You have probably forgoten more about aquaria than most of us here know at all...

And no thats not a dig at your age rather a compliment to someone who has dedicated so much time to the hobby...

My hats off to you sir...:22:

jeffs99dime
09-27-2007, 08:16 PM
outstanding link!!! very nicely done

tropfish
09-27-2007, 08:52 PM
something i may have to try! good post!

CAF
09-27-2007, 08:56 PM
something i may have to try! good post!
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

zackish
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Where does it say what to mix?
How do I make the actual O2?

CAF
09-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Where does it say what to mix?
How do I make the actual O2?

Hydrogen Peroxcide

H2O3

So you have H2O and O2 when broken down by a catalyst such as lead or copper...

Drumachine09
09-27-2007, 09:32 PM
So, the lead reacts with the H2O3, and produces O2? Cool. If I used a small lead fishing weight, thats slighty larger than the one you pictured, would that make more oxygen?

I might have to try this, because I hate the look or airstones, but I like the idea of oxygenating the water.

CAF
09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
So, the lead reacts with the H2O3, and produces O2? Cool. If I used a small lead fishing weight, thats slighty larger than the one you pictured, would that make more oxygen?

I might have to try this, because I hate the look or airstones, but I like the idea of oxygenating the water.

The more surface area the larger the reaction.

Drumachine09
09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Cool. Great article BTW.

CAF
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Cool. Great article BTW.
Thanks! One thing to remember everyone, just like you can dose too much CO2, you can do the same thing with O2... be careful with how much you use. I'm not a chemist or biologist to be able to tell you how much is too much, but keep an eye out. I KNOW the formula given works because I use it, if you alter it, please do not hold me repsonsible for the outcome.

zackish
09-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm just wondering where it says how much peroxide to mix and with how much water?
In the diagram pictures the lead or copper is in the tank with the "glass rocks"
It might be me misunderstanding it and being dumb but I really don't see where it says what to do. It shows how to make the bottle and how peroxide reacts with h2o.....that's all I see.
I am really interested in doing this that is why I am asking. I'm not criticizing the article.

CAF
09-27-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm just wondering where it says how much peroxide to mix and with how much water?
In the diagram pictures the lead or copper is in the tank with the "glass rocks"
It might be me misunderstanding it and being dumb but I really don't see where it says what to do. It shows how to make the bottle and how peroxide reacts with h2o.....that's all I see.
I am really interested in doing this that is why I am asking. I'm not criticizing the article.

You fill the bottle with the Peroxide, nothing else other than rocks to hold it in the tank (if doing a submersed bottle) and a piece of lead.

zackish
09-28-2007, 11:11 PM
O I see...if I wanted to do it outside my tank like my DIY Co2 could I just do the same setup with a airline going into my tank dispersing the O2?

CAF
09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
O I see...if I wanted to do it outside my tank like my DIY Co2 could I just do the same setup with a airline going into my tank dispersing the O2?

You sure could. As a matter of fact that is what we do now instead of the inside the tank variety. We keep a few of the bottles around in case we need an extra boost though...

zackish
09-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I haven't had any problems recently but I plan to try it out. I am sure my fish wouldn't mind a little extra O2.

CAF
09-28-2007, 11:24 PM
I haven't had any problems recently but I plan to try it out. I am sure my fish wouldn't mind a little extra O2.
Have fun with it.

Bill M.
09-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Hmm.. this is engenious! I think I will run this to my SW tank, being that SW has like... 6 times less o2 than FW..... so tell me if I understand: Take bottle, fill with h202 *hydrogen peroxide* add a lead weight into the bottle, drill cap insert airline, hook up airstone, put in HOB for full dispersion into water....boom... done...right?? I like this,..:hmm3grin2orange:

CAF
10-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Hmm.. this is engenious! I think I will run this to my SW tank, being that SW has like... 6 times less o2 than FW..... so tell me if I understand: Take bottle, fill with h202 *hydrogen peroxide* add a lead weight into the bottle, drill cap insert airline, hook up airstone, put in HOB for full dispersion into water....boom... done...right?? I like this,..:hmm3grin2orange:
I have not tried this with any of my SW tanks.... let me know how it works out.

Dave66
10-01-2007, 10:51 PM

Bill,
You wouldn't need it if you have a good protein skimmer.

Dave