PDA

View Full Version : May add Java Moss, thoughts?

Triton
11-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok, so my lighting set up for my standard 55 gal is 2 Aqueon T-8 Full Spectrum Bulbs (18" 15W)

I understand that it is not ideal for most plants, but would attaching some java moss to a piece of driftwood survive? Tank does have some sun light hitting it each day.

Just looking for a natural look and something that if I end up with fry will give them a small chance

**Not looking to invest a ton, would have to change substrate, lights etc for a planted tank - just looking for a easy plant and heard java was my answer

korith
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Java moss will be fine with stock lighting. Check out this link http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php it has a fairly decent plant database. You can list plants by light requirements and other factors. Anything under 'low' light category should be fine.

korith
11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Also you can look at floating plants. Since they are on the surface, the lighting you have should be sufficient. http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=7&filter_by=6

Dwarf water lettuce should be easy to find. Water sprite is nice too, it can be planted, but just leave it floating. Red root floaters are very nice, like the name suggests they can have long red roots will add some color to the tank. Also the added cover on the surface will give more timid fish a bit more security so they will swim out in the open more.

Triton
11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Ok, Only reason I'm gonna go with Java for now is that I have one LARGE fake plant (see profile pic) that covers one side of the tank, and was looking for a plant for the other side. Was offered some moss for the best price (free) so I wanted to make sure my lighting would be enough. Thanks. Hopefully the danios, dwarf gouramis and cherry barbs like it.

Now how do you recommend attaching it to some driftwood, I don't think I just want to leave it floating, but I also have seen multiple ideas on attaching it (krazy glue, string, fishing line, rubber bands etc)

korith
11-01-2012, 01:33 PM
String works. Eventually the moss will hook itself onto stuff on its own.

luv2sk8te17
11-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I have had java moss for about 3 months in a 55g long with (2)t8 10k bulbs and it is spreading nice. you will want to make sure your lights run less than 8 hrs cause this stuff builds up green algae on it very easy. adds a nice authentic touch to the tank. Requires trimming about once a month. i usually trim as im doing a water change. it will also start to grow on leaves of other live plants. to attach it i used brown thread from hobby lobby. it blends best with drift wood.

Triton
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Ok, good to know, my lights typically run about 12 hours, but... I plan to have a little army of ottos, or a rubber lipped so I don't mind a little algae