PDA

View Full Version : Where's my shrimp

misshippy
10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
hi! i hope someone can help me. i have a community tank with gouramis, mollies and a breeding pair of kribensis. they get on well sticking to their various parts on the tank. about a week ago i introduced a vampire shrimp (african cameroon fan shrimp) he was investigated by the tank inhabitants with lots of nudges and then left alone. he obviously didt like this much ad ran and hid under some bog wood.

its been a week and i havent seen him at all! is he dead or hiding? will he ever come out? im worried if he will get enough food.

thanks!

Trillianne
10-25-2012, 04:30 PM
If you have moved things around in your tank looking for him and can't find him... its entirely possible he was eaten.

pjaldave
10-25-2012, 05:27 PM
It's not impossible for him to get eaten by the kribs or the gouramis.

Also, i'm not sure it is a wise idea to keep more than 1 gourami in the same tank.

Brhino
10-25-2012, 06:16 PM
do you have a lot of plants or hiding spots in the tank? I have a bamboo shrimp which is similar and I rarely see it. It spends most of its time hidden in my plants filter feeding peacefully.

luv2sk8te17
10-25-2012, 11:08 PM
gouramis got him

misshippy
10-26-2012, 12:21 AM
yes its full of hiding places like plants, wood, stones and caves. found him under a moss ball after lots of hunting. i have 2 gouarmis but they are probably the least aggressive and seem to have no interest at all in my shrimp but still he stays hidden. ;(

korith
10-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Surprised that the shrimp have lasted that long with those fish. Most fish consider shrimp a food. Even small fish may pick away at parts of the shrimp if the fish are too small to eat the shrimp whole. From a lot of sources about the only fish I've seen mentioned as being shrimp safe is otocinclus. I do keep some small rasboras that are the same size as the shrimp in the same tank. They do fine with each other.

Brhino
10-26-2012, 01:47 AM
keep in mind a vampire shrimp is a big shrimp. It's not a tiny little RCS. I can only speak for my own experience (one bamboo shrimp, does just fine in a community tank) but most of what I've read generally states that larger shrimp do fine with peaceful community fish.

misshippy
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
thanks guys! yes he is about 2inchs at the moment and should get up to 6! which is why i felt brave enough to put him in. now i know his hiding place does anyone know of any specific food i can give him so he gets enough?

pjaldave
10-27-2012, 06:22 AM
drop sinking pellets after the lights are out. i'm pretty sure your shrimps should be able to find it.

mr mittag
10-29-2012, 02:39 AM
i have a vamp. shrimp.. he lives with kribensis, south american pufferfish, glass cats, ammanos and oto cinclus. a vampire shrimp will normally find one spot to live in. for the first while.. this could take over a month before it decides to venture out. i have lots of rock in my tank with big caves, yet he picked a spot a little bigger than his body and actually lived upside down for quite some time. after his fiirst molt he started to come out more.. now that he is comfortable he comes out daily. but this took awhile. he is still very cautious to fast movement outside the tank. just give it some time as vampire shrimp take a while to become comfortable. but they arent really "afraid" of much. when i first got my oto cats.. one went directly to the shrimp and started cleaning him. the shimp did not care. just give some time and observe the tank without moving. my shrimp is smart.. his home is infront of the intake of the filter so any particles that go to the suction of the filter go through him first. they also go crazy for bloodworms. a dose of those in the tank and the shrimp looks like he needs more than the four arms he has to feed himself.