PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a cichlid to another one..fireworks!

kes
09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone!! Haven't been on here for aaaages..

My adult Sajica is in a community tank and he's been by himself for a while after his wife died :(

I wanted to introduce a new cichlid to the tank and chose a cichlasoma festae. I changed all the decor around in the tank (at the suggesstion of my LFS) and gradually introduced the new little fella but my Sajica is seriously p****d off!

He's never been angry about any other fish joining the tank so he must know this is a cichlid.. The tank is big enough (and has enough caves abd plants)that the Festae can escape from the Sajica.

Is this likely to settle down or will he remain this disgruntled? He's even chasing the Ruby Barbs around because they slightly resemble the Festae.

Advice appreciated!! thumbs2:

Kes

jeffs99dime
09-26-2007, 04:59 PM
welcome back to the forum. long time no see. unfortunately it is hard to predict whether or not they will be compatible down the road. only time will tell.:c1:

CAF
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Good luck. It may be that it is another male and the Sajica is trying to drive it off from "his" territory. I would keep a close watch to see if the new addition is getting too beat up, and if so pull him from the tank for a while. Sometimes, it can help to pull the aggressor from the tank and isolate them. While doing this reorganize the tank completely and then after a few days reintroduce the aggressive fish to the tank. This does not work all of the time but it wouldn't hurt.

kes
09-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks.. they seem to have settled a little. It's like watching two jealous toddlers! I've put in two lots of frozen bloodworm and they'll feed next to each other for a while before the T-Bar starts getting antsy.

The good news is that whilst studying the tank so carefully I've relocated my Horseface Loach that is soo deep under the substrate, right against the front glass! I was worried I may have sucked him up at my last gravel clean...:11:

jeffs99dime
09-26-2007, 08:40 PM
be careful how many and how often you feed blood worms. they can cause your fish to become constipated. i usually feed my fish bloodworms about once a week

kes
09-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the advice Jeff..

I've decided to take the Red Terror back.. he's a little more settled now but having read up on him I just don't think he's right for a community tank. My Danios and Barbs shoudl be ok with him but my loaches keep bumbling into him and he's already getting very territorial and feisty!

I've also seen how big they get and he'll outgrow everything in my tank!!

Can anyone recommend a more peaceful, mid-size cichlid that may tolerate a community? What are the Severums or Salvinis like? Oooh! What about a Meeki? Is that possible? Is Hobbs or Nanaglen around? :D

Cheers, Kes :malelovies:

Lady Hobbs
09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Girlfriend!! You have been missed here and I'm so happy to see you. I think of you whenever I look into the members photos and have wondered if you eloped or went to Iraq. :)

Nanaglen has a gaggle of Sajica and they are beautiful fish. I don't think she has much problem with them but I "assume" hers pretty much grew up together. Cichlids are one of those that do best if several are introduced at the same time.

Severums are said to be OK in community settings on the most part but once again, they are the cichlid and you never know when you get a bad apple that doesn't get along with others. If they are in a community setting, they should be with larger fish. My plan is to have severum and festivums together. They are "supposed" to also do well with blood parrots.

Nice "seeing" you!!

jeffs99dime
09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Jeff..

I've decided to take the Red Terror back.. he's a little more settled now but having read up on him I just don't think he's right for a community tank. My Danios and Barbs shoudl be ok with him but my loaches keep bumbling into him and he's already getting very territorial and feisty!

I've also seen how big they get and he'll outgrow everything in my tank!!

Can anyone recommend a more peaceful, mid-size cichlid that may tolerate a community? What are the Severums or Salvinis like? Oooh! What about a Meeki? Is that possible? Is Hobbs or Nanaglen around? :D

Cheers, Kes :malelovies:

have you ever considered keyholes?

CAF
09-27-2007, 05:40 PM
have you ever considered keyholes?

Another good one would be "Nics" Nicarguense (spelling?)

jeffs99dime
09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
here's a few pics of my keyholes for you--

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/th_jeffsalbum282.jpg (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/jeffsalbum282.jpg)
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/th_jeffsalbum274.jpg (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/jeffsalbum274.jpg)
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/th_jeffsalbum300.jpg (http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/fyrtertl2/jeffsalbum300.jpg)

Dave66
09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Ahh I love the ole maronis. Such pleasant mellow fellows. Fond memories in those pics, thank you.

Dave

jeffs99dime
09-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Ahh I love the ole maronis. Such pleasant mellow fellows. Fond memories in those pics, thank you.

Dave

no problem. the keyholes are some of my favorites

Special-K
09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I love severums. My green is probably the most interesting fish ive kept.

kes
09-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Aaaah bless you all, I almost forgot how helpful you all are!! (Not quite tho cos when I needed fishie advice I knew just where to come)

Your keyholes really are pretty Jeff and from their profile they sound like placid little fellas.. I think I've fallen in love with the Nicaraguense though :1luvu: !! They are really beautiful cichlids and they have that lovely shaped head (similar to the Sajica) - I don't know if I've seen them in my LFS tho?

I may treat myself to a trip down to Maidenhead Aquatics on Saturday..Even if they don't have anything in I can spend a few hours lusting over their loaches!!...:l6:

kes
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I love severums. My green is probably the most interesting fish ive kept.
The Green Severums are cool too... they're in the running!

CAF
09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Aaaah bless you all, I almost forgot how helpful you all are!! (Not quite tho cos when I needed fishie advice I knew just where to come)

Your keyholes really are pretty Jeff and from their profile they sound like placid little fellas.. I think I've fallen in love with the Nicaraguense though :1luvu: !! They are really beautiful cichlids and they have that lovely shaped head (similar to the Sajica) - I don't know if I've seen them in my LFS tho?

I may treat myself to a trip down to Maidenhead Aquatics on Saturday..Even if they don't have anything in I can spend a few hours lusting over their loaches!!...:l6:

Check with your local Aquarist society. There are loads of them throughout the UK... Specifically Northants which I bleive is near you if I remember correctly.

kes
09-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all your advice guys, in the end (with the help of the bloke in Maidenhead) I went for a pair of herotilapia multispinosa - Rainbow Cichlids.

They've settled in like a dream, very little trouble from the Sajica, just the odd nudge now and then and they look gorgeous!

Thanks for all your help! thumbs2: