PDA

View Full Version : aquatic mosses

HELLBENDER
10-19-2012, 12:56 AM
im looking for aquatic mosses that would give me a good carpet effect like land mosses do and or slightly bushy any suggestions on species? or reasonably priced offers?

homemadepopcorn
10-19-2012, 01:04 AM
You may want to look at the plants Hemianthus callitrichoides and glossostigma elatinoides. These plants will give you a nice carpet but they are very high maintenance plants, buyer beware.

Java moss can make a carpet, but it doesn't root into the substrate and thus is essentially just floating at the bottom of the tank.

HELLBENDER
10-19-2012, 02:09 AM
ok i definatley should have added low maintenance preferred

HELLBENDER
10-19-2012, 02:17 AM
and more of a moss the dwarf baby tears are slowly dieing on me

madagascariensis
10-19-2012, 02:22 AM
you could also look into riccia and pellia. neither should be too
hard to care for.

bethyMT
10-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Your success with this may depend on how much light you have over the tank.

The standard rule (which is much disputed but OK for flourescents like T5s and
T8s) is 1-2 Watts per gallon for low light, 3-4 for medium light, and anything above that high light.
LEDs are a different story, as you can get a lot of light for less watts on the higher quality units.

I think what you are looking for may require medium to high light. High light plants sometimes require adding CO2 to the water...I don't do this, sounds like a pain in the butt. So be forewarned; the plants you want might be a lot of work, and there may be no way around it! Or, you might need to upgrade your lights.

homemadepopcorn
10-20-2012, 02:13 AM
I believe that it'll be difficult to keep riccia healthy as a carpet without some ferts and lights. It does much better floating or at the top of the tank.