PDA

View Full Version : Laceration?

MandyK
10-19-2012, 12:29 AM
I've just had a startling moment with my Dwarf Gourami. There is a raised lump on his side. The lump seems to have perhaps burst, and may be leaking pus. I'm not sure...

What could this be? Should I pull out the QT now, or can it wait until morning?

madagascariensis
10-19-2012, 01:21 AM
There is a disease which is called dwarf gourami iridovirus that affects dwarf gouramis and a few other anabantids. One of the symptoms of this disease are sores and abscesses like you described. Unfortunately the disease is in curable and it is more humane to put the fish down. However, there also are a myriad of other reasons that could cause a sore so I would qt the fish for now to make sure other fish don't pick at his wound and see how things go, just in case it is not dwarf gourami iridovirus

MandyK
10-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Thank you for your response. I am letting the temp in the QT stabalize as we speak.

I just caught him and took a picture to post, only to find out that my memory card wasn't in my camera..... SO I'll take another picture when I get ready to move him into QT.

Until then I'll do some research on the disease and see if I come up with anything.

madagascariensis
10-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Wish the best for your gourami!

MandyK
10-20-2012, 12:22 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CBxNrunQdfQ/UIHui849DLI/AAAAAAAACKU/UFx7AIIT6PI/s512/SAM_1322.JPG

Cliff
10-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Have you ruled out some type of worm ?

Years back a freind of mine had a fish infected with worms, could have been anchor worms but I can't remember for sure. I think the fish had a spot that looked a lot like that. But then again, somedays I have touble remembering what I ate for breakfest :ssuprised:

MandyK
10-20-2012, 12:34 AM
I haven't. I haven't treated him for anything yet. I DO have the meds to treat for worms. If it isn't that, would it hurt him to add the meds with a big open wound like that?

Cliff
10-20-2012, 12:37 AM
You could just give him a lot of water changes over the next few days and see what happens. That would also give you time to comfirm if this is anything more than a laceration. That would likely be best before treating with meds

MandyK
10-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Good thinking Cliff. Daily W/C's it is until further notice.

MandyK
10-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a photo update on my Gourami on my journal thread. Check it out.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=92958&page=24

I'm still not completely sure what it is, but I am seriously considering using salt plus daily W/C's. Any opinions on this?

MandyK
10-28-2012, 05:06 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PqnUR7TuDFw/UI1kIY1rzSI/AAAAAAAACMk/jvCY-xHebJY/s640/SAM_1350.JPG

I don't know if it's healing or if it's getting worse. It LOOKS worse....

Cliff
10-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Is he still eating and acting as normal ???

Any signs of flashing or anything else odd like that ???

Lady Hobbs
10-29-2012, 03:35 AM
Anchor worm was my first thought. Always starts with a bump, then breaks open and you'll see the worm protuding. You'll have to keep an eye on him and see if you can see a little tail coming from that spot.

MandyK
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
@Cliff
Yes, he's still acting pretty normal. Eating just about everything I offer him. He isn't pooping a lot, but he is some. Swimming well and all that. He's a little less energetic, but I wouldn't call him lethargic.

@ Hobbs
I've been watching him pretty closely. I went ahead and treated him with Prazi a about 4 or 5 days ago.

He's currently getting a W/C every other day + salt treatment. All Prazi should be out of the tank now.