PDA

View Full Version : German Blue rams

SpiderPig
09-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Hello, havent been on here for a while because of school xD

I am going to make a planted 20 gallon tank and i was thinking about getting german blue rams. Would it be ok if i only got one? I dont want to get one male and femlae as im scared they might breed and territorize my other fish. If i get two males though, im afraid they will fight, is this true?

some of the other tankmates i may have ( still deciding) are one clown pleco, 5 corydoras (leaning towards pandas) and maybe a little shoal of diamond tetras.

any help will be appreciated :3

~Erik3.8.07~
09-26-2007, 12:24 AM
german blue rams are generally peaceful, if ur worried about 2 males fighting you could always get 2 females, if you only get 1 be sure to give him lots of hiding places

CAF
09-26-2007, 12:24 AM
You could get only one, however, most cichlids enjoy the company of others of the same species... Personally I would get a group and put them into their own tank.

~Erik3.8.07~
09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
o and another thing is that i believe they are pretty sensitive to water conditions so make sure your tank is suitable before getting any

SpiderPig
09-26-2007, 12:36 AM
wow, fast replies o.o

@ erik, do males fight though? i mean, like i know they will probably chase each other a bit, maybe a few ripped fins, but will they be kinda like a betta fight? females i cant seem to find much around here (i only saw one at lfs last time) since i think they keep them for breeding. But if i do ever find a pair, is there anyway to make them not breed so they dont become territorial? also, do you think they will pair if i just get one male and female? because my lfs only has like a one day return policy. And if i do only get one, even with hiding spaces (i will have lots hopefully if plants grow right), will he just hide in there and not swim?

@CAF, i wish i could get like a tank just for them but i have to keep this tank outside my room so my dad wants a bit more diversity in it D:

~Erik3.8.07~
09-26-2007, 12:44 AM
from what i have heard is that 2 males may chase eachother a bit but wont really nip at eachother, they are also difficult to breed but if it does happen i dont think you will have to much to worry about, they do gaurd there eggs but will probably merely chase off any fish coming to close and the other fish will probably learn to not go near the eggs, its not necessary but they prefer to be in pairs

squirt_12
09-26-2007, 01:40 AM
German Blue rams do need alot of care. They like their water at a specific level and they NEED clean water. They are not very hard to breed but not easy. If you have to males they will be aggressive with each other and towards the other fish. Also the best way would ot go with about 1 male and about 2 females. That would be a nice match. Also i think that the males have the more colour into them. Also i think that they like a planted tank.

I hope this helps.

SpiderPig
09-26-2007, 02:09 AM
hm, well i use prime to condition my water. My tap is about 7 ph over here but i will have some mopani driftwood so that should make the water softer a bit.

squirt, how come you need 1 male and 2 females? Dont german's pair off? or is this what you mean, the male gets to choose who he wants? I wish my lfs would make their return policy longer so i would be able to see what rams pair up etc. My tank will be planted with java fern (if i can find good ones), water wisteria, red robin plant (lfs name xD) anubias, java moss if possible, and maybe vallisneasomething. The kind that is kinda corkscewy.

i think my final stocking will be panda corys, one pleco clown, diamon tetra/rummy nose tetras, german blue rams (still not sure about this)

ugh, i wish i can go to the new fish store i just found near me but i must wait till this weekend and see if my grades went up. Then my dad will take me ;O

squirt_12
09-26-2007, 07:25 PM
squirt, how come you need 1 male and 2 females? Dont german's pair off? or is this what you mean, the male gets to choose who he wants? I wish my lfs would make their return policy longer so i would be able to see what rams pair up etc.

Yes....sorry.....i got mixed up with them and like a barb. My mind was in a twist lol. I am just stressed with school.So i forget alot of stuff. Sorry. Yeah they pair. lol.

SpiderPig
09-26-2007, 11:44 PM
oh ok xD

does anyone know whats the chance of a male and female pairing up if i just buy two of them? I dont want one since im afraid he will be to timid and just hide all the time so two it shall be o.o

at the lfs, do you think there will be anypairs? the tank looks spacious and isnt that crowded with live plants to so they might have. I dont know D:

CAF
09-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Depending on the quality of the LFS they might know if there are both males and females in the tank. Males are generally more colorful than the females. I would buy around 5 let them pair up and then sell the other 3 back to the store if they let you. Most stores will do this as hopefully they will have a local source for the fish afterwards...

SpiderPig
09-29-2007, 12:01 PM
hm, my dad might let me do a mostly all ram tank.

Do you think i a stock of 6 rams (try to get 3 female and 3 males) and 5 corydoras would work on in my 20 gallon long? It will be planted with hopefully 1/2-2/3 of the whole tank. I also might be getting some tetras as dither fish if they dont get a long.

Nick89
09-29-2007, 09:18 PM
I would think there would be a lot of fighting going on in that tank if they paired up. But i dont know much about these fish, hopefully someone can give you more information. Nice username!

SpiderPig
10-01-2007, 12:57 AM
thanks xD

any more replies? o.o

squirt_12
10-01-2007, 02:33 AM
oh ok xD

does anyone know whats the chance of a male and female pairing up if i just buy two of them? I dont want one since im afraid he will be to timid and just hide all the time so two it shall be o.o

at the lfs, do you think there will be anypairs? the tank looks spacious and isnt that crowded with live plants to so they might have. I dont know D:
well my friend bought 2 rainbow fish (i think that thatss what they are called) but like she didn't know but they ended up being a male an da female so she should get some eggs...but they will probably get eaten anyways.

Usually the other fish in the tank will eat the eggs and you wont have to worry about getting little fry. So i think that you are alright.

Curtis

SpiderPig
10-01-2007, 02:47 AM
well the thing is, im just scared that the rams might try to be too protective and attack my other fish.

ugh, and im getting confused of the research i am doing on rams. Some sites say that they pair up while others say a ratio or 1 male to 2-3 females is better since they like a "harem" approach or w/e that is.

Dave66
10-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Rams are non-aggressive, and keep to themselves when breeding. In a 40 gallon or better you could easily keep 8 or 10 Rams.
Keep a decent-sized school of tetras, say a dozen or two, and you'll see the Rams more at ease and visible.

Dave

SpiderPig
10-02-2007, 08:02 PM
well, i think i dozen might be to many in a 20 gallon tank.

i was thinking of this stocking : a pair of german blue rams(if i can get them)6 diamond tetras, and 5 corydoras. maybe an albino bristlenose pleco since my lfs has one for only 10 dollars but probably wont get it.

Nick89
10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I may be wrong, but aren't the bristelnose plecos rather aggressive? Im not sure but maybe someone can help a little better.

SpiderPig
10-05-2007, 10:00 PM
wow, im a bit late xD been so busy. o.o

are they really? i didnt know that.

hm also, i have another question, how would i be able to get my food to my pleco if i had corys?

cocoa_pleco
10-05-2007, 10:04 PM
feed sinking alga wafers and the pleco will nudge it away from the cory's

~Erik3.8.07~
10-05-2007, 10:38 PM
wow, im a bit late xD been so busy. o.o

are they really? i didnt know that.

hm also, i have another question, how would i be able to get my food to my pleco if i had corys?

my pleco will literally sit on top of the wafer and chase off anyone who comes to try and get a bite until they learn its his. i'll usually drop 2 in at once so the cories and any other fish can have one too

SpiderPig
10-05-2007, 11:42 PM
oh ok thanks. I just thought that the corys would eat the whole wafer before the pleco noticed/ learned that i gave him food.

hm, my dad said he might take me to the lfs with the blue rams tomorrow so wish me luck xD

~Erik3.8.07~
10-06-2007, 12:08 AM
hey i might be getting blue rams tommorow too :11: well at least trying a new store to see if they have them or at least can special order them, hope you get some really nice ones, and if you do i wanna see pics!:thumb:

SpiderPig
10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
ugh, i dont think i will be getting any blue rams. The person their said their store only had a two day return policy. And when i told him i wanted to buy like five for them to pair up etc, he just did a "huh?" look at me and just left me. How rude >.>

i so wish i could put one angel fish in that tank xD. But i think i cannot since the tank is only 12 inches tall, 10 with gravel. How tall do angels get again? i mean, i dont want a veiltail/long tail type. I actually prefer the ones that are short since they look more neat and has regular vertical black bars on silver. especially their red eyes xD

anyways, other than doing that, i went to petsmart and bought some stuff. i now have a nutrafin c02 system for my planted and a hood. My other dilemma is the lighting. I want a lighting of 2 watts per gallon but the light with the hood is only 20watts. I looked at the other tubes in petsmart but they didnt have a 24" tube that had 40 watts. The max was 20 >.<

i wonder if i can find a tube for that at a home improvement store.

Dave66
10-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Pure bred scalare sp. angelfish can reach eight inches tall. The hundreds of hybrids in the hobby usually reach around six.

Dave

emma_421
11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
I have albino bristlenose plecos and think they are the perfect communtity fish! The don't attack the others at all. I did see the male swat a few fish with his tail when they were trying to eat his algae wafer, but he was hungry. They have eaten all the algea in my tank. Besides, he didn't hurt them. Otherwise they hang out in their own spots.

emma_421
11-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh, and on the rams.. You have to buy them from the correct source. The ones that are bred overseas have hormones injected into them and die VERY easily! If you want rams you have to get them from a breeder or a company that does not do this. The hormones kill them quickly and the expected life span you can expect is 0 days to 2 months. I am waiting on a breeder so I get rams that won't die.

Fishalicious
11-15-2007, 12:19 AM
German Rams are really easy to sex - the female has a pink belly. Watch the tank for a while and you will notice a male and female in the store already swimming more 'together' and you have a matching couple. As Emma says though you are better getting them from a breeder rather than a store or ask the store where they are imported from... if they are from Europe they are ok.