PDA

View Full Version : ok....i need peoples opinion please...

squirt_12
09-25-2007, 08:38 PM
ok well in my 33g i am thinking of getting a pair of kribensis (1 male, 1 female) [sorry if there are many posts already about kribs but i would like peoples opinions]. Ok well in the tank i have many fish (i am going to be selling some) but i would like to know which fish i need to get rid of and which fish i can keep with them. Also i would like to know if you think it is a good idea...or a bad idea. Thanks.

THe fish are: (the tank is a little overstocked so i going to sell some)
2 blue gouramis
1 kissing gourami
4 pencil fish
5 swordtails
10 glowlight tetras
2 cherry barbs
2 cories
1 loach
1 pleco
2 guppies
3 black skirt tetras
and 1 scissortail rasbora.

Thanks for al of the pointers in advance.

jeffs99dime
09-25-2007, 09:05 PM
i don't recommend a male and female krib in a community tank at all. they are aggressive, especially during spawning time. and you are way overstocked for a 33 gallon tank. i would recommend selling all or getting a larger tank for the species you have already. why not start a dwarf cichlid community? keyholes do very well with kribs, as i've kept both together. they were all males though

CAF
09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
ok well in my 33g i am thinking of getting a pair of kribensis (1 male, 1 female) [sorry if there are many posts already about kribs but i would like peoples opinions]. Ok well in the tank i have many fish (i am going to be selling some) but i would like to know which fish i need to get rid of and which fish i can keep with them. Also i would like to know if you think it is a good idea...or a bad idea. Thanks.

THe fish are: (the tank is a little overstocked so i going to sell some)
2 blue gouramis
1 kissing gourami
4 pencil fish
5 swordtails
10 glowlight tetras
2 cherry barbs
2 cories
1 loach
1 pleco
2 guppies
3 black skirt tetras
and 1 scissortail rasbora.

Thanks for al of the pointers in advance.

LOL slightly overstocked...

Anyhow, with enough plants anf filteration the stocking numbers change anyhow...

Kribs are obviously Cichlids. They are generally more aggressive than some of the other dwarf cichlid species as well as slightly larger. One important thing to remember, "If it can possibly fit in my mouth, it is food. If it darts around and acts like food, it is food."

squirt_12
09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
yeah i know that i am overstocked. I have known that for a while but i am still figuring out what to sell. So well i think that i am going to sell my 10 glowlights, and my 3 gouramis. Would that make my tank good or is it still overstocked?? And all of the other fish wouldn't be small enough to fit in a kribs mouth.

Also i have been doing some research and they said that kribs can be in with community fish and that they CAN breed with community fish but they will probably make all of the other fish move to the other side of the tank.

I have lots of caves and stuff but i think that i would move all of them near the edges (ends) of the tank so tha IF i get some kribs they arn't like ruling the entire middle of the tank. Also i have some plants in the tank but i am planning on getting some more and making it heavily planted. I have good filtration but i can't rmember what the filter is called. My tank is at 80 degrees and my lighting is good for low to medium plants (if that helps)

Thanks.

CAF
09-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Honestly, every always told me not to mix South/Central American and Africian Cichlids. I have done it now for 2 years and both my Nics and my Electric Yellows breed in there. Try to keep similiarly sized fish, and you may be fine... then again, maybe not. Have a spare tank on hand if you need to move fish out.

YaYgoldFish
09-25-2007, 09:27 PM
yeah i know that i am overstocked. I have known that for a while but i am still figuring out what to sell. So well i think that i am going to sell my 10 glowlights, and my 3 gouramis. Would that make my tank good or is it still overstocked?? And all of the other fish wouldn't be small enough to fit in a kribs mouth.
No fish can fit in a kribs mouth, except for fry.

Also i have been doing some research and they said that kribs can be in with community fish and that they CAN breed with community fish but they will probably make all of the other fish move to the other side of the tank.
They CAN breed in a tank but will harrass or kill other fish, wich is why they need to be a species only when breeding, unless with tougher and bigger cichlids.

I have lots of caves and stuff but i think that i would move all of them near the edges (ends) of the tank so tha IF i get some kribs they arn't like ruling the entire middle of the tank. Also i have some plants in the tank but i am planning on getting some more and making it heavily planted. I have good filtration but i can't rmember what the filter is called. My tank is at 80 degrees and my lighting is good for low to medium plants (if that helps)

Kribs will breed where they want, mine have breed at the right of the tank and once at the left. And what is "good" filtration for you? If you don't know the name of your filter its a pretty bad sign. And what is your lighting like?

Thanks.

For the Fish you have, i dont think any of them would be safe with your kribs, except maybe your pleco(im guessing its a common) but he'll eat any eggs he finds.

squirt_12
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Well i have a divider that i could just put in. But i think that i am going to try it and then if it doesn't work out then i will just return the kribs for something else.
And well i have another question.
Could i just put the kribs into the divided part of the tnak for like 20 minutes so that they get used to all of the other fish in the tank?? and also wouldn't the caves and such help prevent the kribs from hurting the other fish?? Also if i kept them well fed then would that help prevent them from eating or nipping at my other fish?

THanks.

YaYgoldFish
09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
The divider wont help you since they might be stressed from the other fish on the other side, and if they do breed the fry could swim to the other side and get eaten. I think caves and plants could help, but your tank really is too small to give tetras a chance. I really dont think you should try..

~Erik3.8.07~
09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
i honestly think you should just either stick with what you got till you get a bigger tank, or if you want new species of fish, sell or give away what you have and start over, but thats just my opinion

squirt_12
09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
i honestly think you should just either stick with what you got till you get a bigger tank, or if you want new species of fish, sell or give away what you have and start over, but thats just my opinion
Yeah thats what i am thinking but like i don't want to just sell all of these fish because i have had them for so long like some of them i have had for like 2-3 years. But that is what i think that i want to do. But now the problem is that my mom and dad probably wont let me but they will let me get another fish but i don't know nymore..... i am so atached to the ones that i have already.
But maybe they will let me get give them to my nanny who has a empty tank...(already cycled and going with some neons in it)

So yeah if i do try it i am going to give me Nanny my cories, glowlights, loach, and maybe some of my other smaller fish.

But like from what you guys/girls have said....i really don't want to try it because they might eat my fsih.

Ok well i have a suggestion. If i were to get a pair and feed them well on LIVE foods...would that help the chances of my other fish or no?

CAF
09-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah thats what i am thinking but like i don't want to just sell all of these fish because i have had them for so long like some of them i have had for like 2-3 years. But that is what i think that i want to do. But now the problem is that my mom and dad probably wont let me but they will let me get another fish but i don't know nymore..... i am so atached to the ones that i have already.
But maybe they will let me get give them to my nanny who has a empty tank...(already cycled and going with some neons in it)

So yeah if i do try it i am going to give me Nanny my cories, glowlights, loach, and maybe some of my other smaller fish.

But like from what you guys/girls have said....i really don't want to try it because they might eat my fsih.

Ok well i have a suggestion. If i were to get a pair and feed them well on LIVE foods...would that help the chances of my other fish or no?

Live foods (which I occasionally use) can mean they start looking at everything moving as a possible food source. However the extra protien is beneficial if you are trying to breed them.

squirt_12
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
Well thats what i want them to do,....thats why i want a pair.....and well i just don't want to get rid of ALL of my fish. I really want to keep most of them but like if i give them to my Nanny then i will get to see them alot because i clean my nannies tank for her. lol. So yeah i think that i am going to try it and see how it goes.

P.S.
Have any of you ever had a fish and took it home and then after you had it for a couple of days you decided you didn't want it so you took it back?? Did they give you a full refund??

~Erik3.8.07~
09-26-2007, 12:20 AM
i recently bought 3 gouramis from petsmart, 1 for the 10g and had hoped that the 46g was big enough for the other 2 to live peacefully, unfortunetly they wouldnt stop picking and nipping at eachother over territory, i took one back and got a full refund (which paid for a couple corys :ssmile: )

YaYgoldFish
09-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Squirt, Kribs arent carnivores, feeding them live foods would do NOTHING. It might want to make them breed more, but they already breed ALOT. The problem isn't them eating your fish, its them protecting their eggs by killing your fish, not eating them.

squirt_12
09-26-2007, 12:58 AM
ok...so they shouldn't hurt my fish unless they are breeding???

jeffs99dime
09-26-2007, 02:03 AM
ok...so they shouldn't hurt my fish unless they are breeding???

you have to keep in mind that kribs are cichlids and are more prone to aggression than , let's say, tetra.

squirt_12
09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
ok....well from everybodys comments...i think that i am NOT going to be getting a Krib but maybe when i have the money to set up another 33g i will get a pair of those with maybe some danios or something like that.

But thanks for all of the suggestions.

CAF
09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Thats a really good idea Squirt.

I generally recommend that Cichlids go into Cichlid tanks. There are exceptions such as checkerboards and apistos, but these ARE exceptions not the rule...