PDA

View Full Version : scared fishes?

lpxaudio
09-25-2007, 07:55 PM
i have had my 55gal tank for about 3 months now, the water seemed to be god until i got brown algaes everywhere in the tank and i cannot seem to get rid of them. but this isnt the major problem, my fishes seem to be "scared" of me now everytime i go near the tank. Before, they use to follow me around wanting food and for the past 2 weeks all 9 fishes have been hiding behind and under the rocks.

what could be causing this? and any tips on removing the brown algae that comes back the day after cleaning?

thanks!!

CAF
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
What are the water stats? If you are getting the Brown Diatom Algae, most likely you have high Nitrate. This will cause the fish to become stressed, and thus hiding more. They may also be down in the rocks spawning. Frequent Water Changes will help with the nitrate and thus the algae

lpxaudio
09-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks so much CAF, although the algae is still a problem (something i have to wait to see) the fishes are starting to come out of their rocks and are swimming more, Thanks again!

by the way at what sizes so electric yellows lay eggs?

CAF
09-25-2007, 10:55 PM
My female is around 3". Remember most Malawi cichlids are mouth brooders so she will be holding them in her mouth... If it looks like her jaw is extended she either holding eggs or fry.

sergo
09-26-2007, 10:20 PM
brown algae could be coming from excess nutrients, overfeeding, and too little light. all are very easy to fix. also it could come from excessive silicates (substrate or other rocks). what is your lighting like, do you have plants in the tank and what is your substrate and all rocks composed of?

lpxaudio
09-28-2007, 04:04 PM
well i dont think im over feeding them, and the algaes seems like they are only growing on the top side of the rock, i will find out what watt it is, what should it be? will the algaes go away if i do get a higher watt?