PDA

View Full Version : Aquaponics Info Needed -Best Breed for my location

mpathhealr
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't like catfish for eating; they are slimy-nasty. Tilapia I'm told won't survive our colder temps (I've had pool water in the 40's, covered). So I'm going to look into the last 2 breeds on a short list of fish for aquaponics; bass and blue gill.

I understand bass are predatory and enjoy a good snack of blue gill. So I can't have both in the same tank/pond/pool!

What I'd like to know is growth rates, pro and cons for each, gallons of water per fish allotments, feeding requirements, sources for small orders of fry!! I haven't got alot of cash to spend, and don't want to waste it if I'm not set up right to begin with. I'm thinking a 55 gal food grade barrel to start, and a small swimming pool for their finish.

Also, what equipment would I need? Can I put other edibles in with them? I'm thinking crawfish or some other such that would mesh well with our tastes and the system.

Thankx for any info or links.

jeffs99dime
10-15-2012, 03:20 PM
You're asking about fish, equipment, etc, so that you can eventually eat them?

Goes to 11!
10-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I know nothing about farming tilapia but the American Tilapia Association (http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ata.html) does and would be a good place to start.
:22:

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2012, 03:38 PM
You're planning on a 55 gallon tank and a small swimming pool for raising fish to eat? How would that work?

I think you will find the information you need in an Aquaponics site. We have an Aquaponics forum here but it's only generated one post in probably two years. I will move your post there.

mpathhealr
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Yes, raise fish to eat them. I know I need a circulation system. A way to pull the water and crud from the bottom to run it thru the hydroponics setup, however that might end up looking (might float some on the fish or make raised wood trays lined in plastic to run the fish water thru for the roots) so the tomatoes and cucumbers get their moisture and nutrition, and I've seen alot of setups with a sump.

Sorry I put this in the "wrong" place. I never saw the aquaponics heading.

aruna
10-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Zebra Danio, Pygmy Corydoras, Bristlenose Pleco, Marbled Headstander, Blue Ram these are best breeds for fresh water.

Stlouisfish
10-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Janna 142 - this thread is over a year old LOL - please check dates before responding.