PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Thread

Nick89
09-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Ok well the last thread I made sort of went downhill with all the different types of fish we had discussed. So lets start a fresh start. This thread is strictly about oscars..Well i plan on keeping an oscar in my 55 gallon and if someday i get the money/room ill get a 75. This thread is only going to be about caring for an oscar, no tank size and no suggestions (which i do thank you for in the other thread) of other fish to keep. Now lets get this thread going. Ok so for the filtration, im going to get 2 penguin 350's, many people have told me that the 2 penguin 350's will be more than enough for the oscar. Now, when I do get the oscar, should I buy some giant danios to go in with him as the dither fish? I dont want him to be sad especially going in a 55 gallon by himself. My 2nd question is, what type of PH do oscars like? How many hikari gold pellets should i feed him? (being he is only going to be 1.75" big) How much should i feed him after he gets a little bigger?? And if someone could just give a summary based on their experience of owning an oscar please, i'd really like to hear about them so I can learn as well. Thank you, and hopefully New comers can look at this thread to get a good idea on what they need to know/do if they decide to own an oscar.

Lady Hobbs
09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I find it impossible to discus Oscars without talking about tank sizes and filtration since these two things are the most two important.

If you are just looking for compatibility issues, check the compatibly stckie thread in red.

Nick89
09-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Ok???? I've already stated the tank size and what I was going to use for filtration. What i mean by not discussing tank sizes is, most people will say "no oscars can go in a 55" or 75 gallon is a minimum for 1" or something relevant. And no, im not just looking for compatibility, im looking for basic oscar keeping and experiences people have had with them.

Drumachine09
09-25-2007, 09:22 PM
I do not endorse the Oscar in a 55 idea, no matter what the filtration, but, no dither fish either. They will be expensive snacks, and will just add to the already too high of a bioload.

YaYgoldFish
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Well Oscars like bigger gravel since they move the gravel around alot and they could swallow the smaller gravel. You can try a few plastic plants but they''ll tear them ALOT. I suggest a couple of large rock caves and other rock structures. For feeding i think its everything the fish can eat in 2 minutes. I would feed one or 2 times a day. I agree with Drumachine, any dither fish will eventually be eaten.
If you dont't want your oscar to be bored or lonely ive heard of people puting ping pong balls for them to move around. Or you can simply sit next to him or just him being able to see you will make him happy. So maybe just watch tv or whatever.

Goodluck!

Nick89
09-25-2007, 10:57 PM
I do not endorse the Oscar in a 55 idea, no matter what the filtration, but, no dither fish either. They will be expensive snacks, and will just add to the already too high of a bioload.

This is not what this thread is about, I asked earlier nicely to please keep the tank size out of this. so please keep the tank size junk out of the thread I understand 75 gallon is best for the oscar but i dont have the space for it. 55 gallon is fine for 1 and thats the end of it.

Nick89
09-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Well Oscars like bigger gravel since they move the gravel around alot and they could swallow the smaller gravel. You can try a few plastic plants but they''ll tear them ALOT. I suggest a couple of large rock caves and other rock structures. For feeding i think its everything the fish can eat in 2 minutes. I would feed one or 2 times a day. I agree with Drumachine, any dither fish will eventually be eaten.
If you dont't want your oscar to be bored or lonely ive heard of people puting ping pong balls for them to move around. Or you can simply sit next to him or just him being able to see you will make him happy. So maybe just watch tv or whatever.

Goodluck!

Thank you for the positive input. I was going to tie a bobber on a rock inside the tank so he can play with it, but if not where could i find a ping pong ball?

Drumachine09
09-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Ping-Pong Ball=Walmart.

gm72
09-25-2007, 11:24 PM
This is not what this thread is about, I asked earlier nicely to please keep the tank size out of this. so please keep the tank size junk out of the thread I understand 75 gallon is best for the oscar but i dont have the space for it. 55 gallon is fine for 1 and thats the end of it.

This is a very good example for how a member can turn people off to responding to posts and getting added to people's "ignore" list. You state the thread is going to be about caring for oscars yet want ..."no tank size and no suggestions...of other fish to keep."

The "tank size junk" is not junk at all. The very statement is insulting. You go on to state that the 75 is best yet you're just going to go with a 55.

You have been given extensive guidance and you have listened to none of it. The last thread "went downhill" because of this.

Check Google or use the search function here to research Oscars.

Nick89
09-25-2007, 11:35 PM
This is a very good example for how a member can turn people off to responding to posts and getting added to people's "ignore" list. You state the thread is going to be about caring for oscars yet want ..."no tank size and no suggestions...of other fish to keep."

The "tank size junk" is not junk at all. The very statement is insulting. You go on to state that the 75 is best yet you're just going to go with a 55.

You have been given extensive guidance and you have listened to none of it. The last thread "went downhill" because of this.

Check Google or use the search function here to research Oscars.

What did I say that was so insulting? I had said previously in my first post not to mention "oh a 55 gallon isnt big enough" And yeah i did say 75 was PROBABLY best, but i dont have the room, nor money to get one. I found a great deal on the 55 gallon tank i have now and thats what im going with. I've heard from many, many people that 1 oscar is good in a 55 gallon aquarium. And how would you know that i haven't listened to any of the suggestions people have gave me? I have too listened to people but it doesn't mean i have to do it. Its just suggestions not a big deal and i said thank you for suggestions. It's posts like this that ruin a thread. All i was trying to do is get a little more information here. Ive tried google and here and Its not quite the information i was looking for. I dont mean to sound rude but if you don't have anything that pertains to oscars could you please keep your personal comments out of this thread please? This isnt directed towards anyone in particular. Thank you.

Drumachine09
09-25-2007, 11:40 PM
We are not trying to be rude. We are simply stating that, If you cannot provide what is needed for a fish, but go with what you have anyway, thats irresponsible.

Nick89
09-25-2007, 11:42 PM
And I aggree with that, But ive heard from many people who have kept these type of fish say that a 55 gallon is good for 1. And drum I wasnt trying to be rude to you man, just so you know. What i think is irresponsible is someone keeping an oscar in a 10 gallon. I said i didnt rule out the 75 gallon idea but for now with what i got i think its appropriate.

Drumachine09
09-25-2007, 11:43 PM
I didnt say anything about you being rude.

I think it would be a better idea to research larger cichlids a bit more, and if you do decide to get a 75, to get the oscar. MHO.

Nick89
09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I know you didn't i was just letting you know. There isnt much other fish that really spark an intrest in me besides and oscar. But it could also be that, I don't know of a whole lot of fish to begin with.

Drumachine09
09-25-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/cich-oth.htm

Good link. Check out the Salvini. Very colorful, a pair would do nicely in a 55.

Nick89
09-25-2007, 11:54 PM
You know what, just forget it i guess. Could someone lock this thread please? I guess ill just go with a different option. If you guys think an oscar cant go in a 55 then i guess im going to agree so we dont get into any arguments. Again, i want whats best for the fish and you guys know a little bit more than I do so, I'm going to go with your advice and get something different. I really like this site and i dont want people to dislike me so, i apologize. Thank you gm and drum for listening to me and hopefully we can still have nice conversations.

Nick89
09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
thanks for the link, im going to do a little research and in about a half hour Ill come back and start a thread about a particular fish that can go in a 55 comfortably.

gm72
09-25-2007, 11:58 PM
I have too listened to people but it doesn't mean i have to do it...I dont mean to sound rude but if you don't have anything that pertains to oscars could you please keep your personal comments out of this thread please? This isnt directed towards anyone in particular. Thank you.

1. "Listening" to advice when you are consistently given the same information from multiple people and then fail to follow-through is not listening.
Example: Father: You need to stop playing ball in the house, son. I have told you 10 times this morning.
Son: I know, I know, I'm listening.
(sound of crashing glass as a window is shattered by the ball)
2. Comments aren't personal at all, we are trying to help you and as a moderator I am clearly explaining that you will find that people will stop replying to your posts if you continue receiving consistent advice and fail to follow it.

I'm done. Good luck with your 55 gallon tank.

Drumachine09
09-25-2007, 11:59 PM
You know what, just forget it i guess. Could someone lock this thread please? I guess ill just go with a different option. If you guys think an oscar cant go in a 55 then i guess im going to agree so we dont get into any arguments. Again, i want whats best for the fish and you guys know a little bit more than I do so, I'm going to go with your advice and get something different. I really like this site and i dont want people to dislike me so, i apologize. Thank you gm and drum for listening to me and hopefully we can still have nice conversations.

Generally, we dont like to lock threads, just incase someone has deeper insight or further wisdom to add, so, untill further notice, it will be open for posting.

thanks for the link, im going to do a little research and in about a half hour Ill come back and start a thread about a particular fish that can go in a 55 comfortably.

Good call. Ill be awaiting the thread.

gm72
09-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Glad we were able to help and glad that we are now on the right track.

Nick89
09-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Gm, i just said i was going to go with a different option, and that i apologized.

gm72
09-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Just to clarify, I was thinking and typing, got up for a minute, and ended up hittin submit after you had already jumped in on the thread to reply.

Nick89
09-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey it's cool, happens to me too. Just hope we are cool because I do enjoy reading the information you give.

gm72
09-26-2007, 12:09 AM
All is well, I'm just very glad we have you on the right track now.

Nick89
09-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Well I have found 2 particular fish i like. And id like to build a nice aquarium around with one or the other so if someone can tell me a little bit more info about them (the fish can be kept in a 55 gallo). 1. Green Terror,2. Convict. Those 2 have been so far as my favorites. They sell beautiful green terrors here, they would have to order the convicts as they dont keep any in stock.

Fishguy2727
09-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Filtration: canister plus HOB is ideal for larger tanks. BioWheels are great, but I would have one large one (Emperor 400) plus a Fluval 405. If you only want to do HOBs they are ideally either Biowheels (two Emperor 400s on a 55) or even better: AquaClears.

Food: New Life Spectrum should be the only thing. The one exception is probably oscars in which case I would not oppose also including Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+. The amount varies with age. When small they should be fed often (2-3 times every day). As they get larger it is cut back to once or twice a day. When they are getting big and the rate of growth has dropped, once a day to once every couple days is fine. When full grown they are eating once or twice a week.

I don't like the idea of dithers, it is not a very humane life for them. However, fast larger ones that won't be eaten may help keep the aggression down in the oscar (they are used to other fish being around).

Glad to see you decided to do the right thing. If I remember right you liked jack dempseys but the LFS does not carry them. Have you asked them if they can get them in? There may be other options that they can get in that they do not usually carry in stock.

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2007, 12:51 AM
There's a good section dedicted to cichlid in the left hand menu here. Quite a bit is written on each of them if you want to browse a bit there.

Nick89
09-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Glad to see you decided to do the right thing. If I remember right you liked jack dempseys but the LFS does not carry them. Have you asked them if they can get them in? There may be other options that they can get in that they do not usually carry in stock.

Well i called and asked one time and they just dont get any jack dempseys, dont know why. But i think im going to go with the green terror just because they KIND OF look and resemble them. I didnt find anything on green terrors in the articles section, so anyone have some input on them? Oh and can red devils go in a 55 comfortably? i just saw a picture of one, kinda cool.

Fishguy2727
09-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Yes, red devil/midas max out at about a foot, so it would be the biggest thing you could fit in there.

Are there any other LFSs within driving distance?

Green terrors: terror says it all. They are very aggressive.

crackatinny
09-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Just a warning on the convicts, if you get a pair of them, you will be up to your neck in fry all the time, and as they breed so easily they are very hard to get rid of, they are a nice fish, but just be aware of there constant breeding. They also become VERY aggressive during spawning.

Nick89
09-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Yes, red devil/midas max out at about a foot, so it would be the biggest thing you could fit in there.

Are there any other LFSs within driving distance?

Green terrors: terror says it all. They are very aggressive.

Well the closest store is about 50 minutes away so. Lol not really. Well then im probably going to go with the red devil. And i think this is a true red devil at the store here because it has really big lips and a little bump starting on their head.

cocoa_pleco
09-26-2007, 01:26 AM
i agree with crackatinny, convicts are very grumping with spawning. right now just the female white convict is with my oscar, and they get along fine, but when she laid eggs, and only her and the oscar were in the tank, there were fights.

crackatinny
09-26-2007, 01:28 AM
I have a red devil, I think you will be happy with your choice.:thumb:

Fishguy2727
09-26-2007, 01:36 AM
Red devil and midas are pretty much the same. Unless they are wild caught or from known parents, you have to assume it is a hybrid. But that doesn't really matter since they get the same size, have the same temperment. And what really matters is that you like the individual fish.

One red devil, one magfloat, lots of filtration, and an aggressive water change schedule sound good.

Nick89
09-26-2007, 01:48 AM
well i plan on doing at least a 40% water change right now as he is little, but when he gets bigger ill move it up to 50%, this may sound dumb but whats a magfloat?? and for filtration im going to go with 2 penguin 350's.

cocoa_pleco
09-26-2007, 01:52 AM
a mag-float is a aquarium magnet that has one end on the outside and one on the inside and scrapes algae without your arms in the tank. all of mine have one

Nick89
09-26-2007, 01:53 AM
oh cool. ill have to get one. Well ill start an appropriate thread in the right section. thanks everyone.

Fishguy2727
09-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I would not use that filtration, see your red devil thread for explanation or to post questions.