PDA

View Full Version : Lighting timing question

Bolsen27
10-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Hey gang. Quick question.

Is it okay to to run my Nova extreme slr 48w T5ho (with zoomed flora sun and ultra sun bulbs) from say 7a to 5p then have them go off and switch to a marineland hidden led light strip for light until like 9p then turn on the blue light until midnight? Tank would be unlit overnight.

My wife hates that during the evening she can't easily see in the tank. So she wants to extend the time that I leave the light on. I don't want algae problems so I have been telling her no. Currently I run the main light for 10 hours then it goes off and the blue LEDs come on until midnight, then it's completely dark.

FYI tank is a 20 gal tall and the fixture is 4 inches above the glass top.

homemadepopcorn
10-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Why don't you just move the start time from 7am to something like 10 or 11am?

But to answer your question, yes, it probably okay as long as you're not getting that much light out of the LED strip. If its really lighting up your tank, then you aren't limiting your photo-period, just switching lights.

Bolsen27
10-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Led lights the tank about as well as a 15w bulb used to light the tank from a fixture I was using before I upgraded to my T5ho lights.

Cermet
10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I agree with Homemadepopcorn - change the time period; just buy a cheap timer at walmart and set the start time, and end times twice a day so you still have the total amount but only during the times when you are around.