PDA

View Full Version : Foods for feeder goldfish

KINGMED
09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
The goldfish that was given to my daughter are presently and temporarily in a 10 gallon tank, I have been feeding them (2) goldfish flakes and freeze dried bloodworms. I didn't know if the bloodworms were O.K. or if I should feed them every 3-4 days like I do my betta. Also are there any other foods like veg's that they'll eat, they are very small and I do realize that they will grow quite big so unfortunately I am in for a rude awakening in a few months, didn't want them but thanks to some friends we inherited them.

Rue
09-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Goldfish are omnivores. Best to feed 2X daily, esp. while they're babies, but small amounts.

I feed sinking pellets, brine shrimp, mysis, glassworm and even some larger shrimp (that I feed to my freshwater tank) along with zucchini and orange slices...

Bloodworms are fine too...1 or 2X a week...

Fishguy2727
09-26-2007, 12:55 AM
New Life Spectrum exclusively is ideal. Pellets are better since they fill them up better without as much mess. If you decide to go with something besides NLS, a staple of a high quality pellet (NLS or Hikari) along with veggies will do well. Many buy live aquarium plants for the goldfish to graze on. Try different things ans see what it likes. I would avoid frozen and freeze-dried foods. There does not seem to be much nutrition in these foods.

CAF
09-26-2007, 01:22 AM
An important thing to note about GF is that they have extremely simple digestive tracts. Food in, waste out. Make sure the foods they are eating were designed for GF otherwise most of it will end up being undigestable and come right back out as waste. Keep up on your WCs as the waste they produce will cause a lot of ammonia.

gm72
09-26-2007, 01:26 AM
I am going to apologize in advance for jumping in here and asking a question, but it is relevent.

Can other fish eat the goldfish foods as well without detriment long term?

Fishguy2727
09-26-2007, 01:45 AM
NLS feeds them all.

The foods are designed for certain digestive systems. Omnivores are omnivores and a high quality food that meets their needs will do well for them, whether they are goldfish or other types.

CAF
09-26-2007, 01:49 AM
I am going to apologize in advance for jumping in here and asking a question, but it is relevent.

Can other fish eat the goldfish foods as well without detriment long term?

That depends on your definition of detriment. If you do not mind having fish that are not as colorful or active, then it should not be a problem. New Life foods are good so are Xtreme Foods... it really kinda depends on tank mates and everything else. Just remeber the fishes #1 Rule: "If it can fit in my mouth, it is food." and the #2 Rule: "If it swims and acts like food, it is food."

Smaller tank mates with GF are a bad idea....

gm72
09-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I do mind if they are not as colorful or active as they should be. I don't keep fish for them to just survive, I keep them to allow them to thrive.

They are all the same size right now and will be separated as needed, but thank you for the reminder at the same time.

CAF
09-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I do mind if they are not as colorful or active as they should be. I don't keep fish for them to just survive, I keep them to allow them to thrive.

They are all the same size right now and will be separated as needed, but thank you for the reminder at the same time.
I whole heartedly agree. They should thrive not just survive. The 2 manufacturers produce good quality foods for a variety of fish.

Rue
09-28-2007, 12:26 AM
New Life Spectrum exclusively is ideal. ... I would avoid frozen and freeze-dried foods. There does not seem to be much nutrition in these foods.

Unless I see a scientific study that shows an exclusive formulated diet is better than a balanced mixed diet, I'd be leery of generalizing...

And I don't know about freeze dried foods...but I haven't read anything to suggest that frozen foods are nutritionally poor...

Fishguy2727
09-28-2007, 03:01 AM
Every case where I used nothing but NLS the fish did better than any other diet I have tried.

freshwaterfishlover
10-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I have 1 Feeder Goldfish I have tried frozen Brine Shrimp, Pellets and Flakes. The only thing it will eat are the Flakes.

Rue
10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
If anyone's interested, there is a nice little article on nutrition in the October 2007 issue of Aquarium Fish International.

It explains that the pelleted diets have been shown to be very good...BUT primarily in food fish (short life span) - not so much is known for long-lived pet fish.

It also points out the issues with grain fillers. Some grain filler is needed to bind the pellets together...but many cheap food are made up primarily of filler...not a good buy. So read the label...high quality fish meal or other similar meal should be the primary ingredient(s).