PDA

View Full Version : Is pond water acceptable?

CliffH
10-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Hello to everyone!

I'm getting ready to setup a new 29 gallon tank. We're planning to start with Tetras and expand from there.

We have a small pond (a bit less than 1/4 acre) in the front yard which has ~200 perch, a few Tilapia and 8 or 10 channel catfish, along with a couple of wild turtles, frogs, a lot of duckweed & moss. It's filled by rainfall and runoff from the surrounding property, it's not spring-fed.

I'm wondering what the consensus is on using the pond water to fill the aquarium.

Crispy
10-13-2012, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't use the pond water. could contain any number of nasties. just dechlorinate your tapwater and you'll be good to go.

steeler58
10-13-2012, 07:54 AM
No. As crispy pointed out theres all kinds bacteria just waiting to grow once you raise the temp.

forstar182
10-13-2012, 08:58 AM
my question is why? just put good old clean tap water and dechlorinate it.

GuppyAteMyDog
10-13-2012, 10:00 AM
it would be safer and easier to dechlorinate tap water , if you really wanted to use the pondwater you would have to boil it and then filter it & boil it again before you used it in your tank

Cermet
10-13-2012, 11:14 AM
If you have well water - test that for nitrates/nitrites and ammonia; if zero for the last two and under ten for the first, use that. If you have 'city' water, then treatment for chlorine compounds is required. Pond/rain water is never safe to use in a close system like an aquarium.

KevinVA
10-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Keep in mind that the fish in your pond water are already used to the pond water. Any fish you might buy from a LFS will probably never be able to adapt and build up immunity to whatever diseases/parasites/etc are already in there, like the other fish. So, while it may be fine for the fish in there, it won't be for whatever fish you buy elsewhere.

CliffH
10-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Seems as if the consensus is No.

I'd figured the answer was most likely going to be no, but was hoping to be able to save a few weeks.

I was also concerned about the weed & moss spores/seeds.