PDA

View Full Version : I'm brand new at this.

Glasstapper
06-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone. I live in Tucson, AZ and I'm 25 years old.

I have a coworker that's giving me a 55 gallon tank, so I thought it would be great to start a freshwater tropical aquarium. Ever since I was a little girl staring at the dentist's tank in his office, I have always loved these colorful and lively fish.

I have been doing lots of reading and trying to educate myself on the proper care of these little guys. I had no idea it would be so interesting and require so much attention (I love it!).

Besides setting up my aqaurium to be a great habitat, the only trouble I'm having is picking which ones I want! There are so many to choose from!

I'm sure I will be here often to ask lots of questions because after reading some other threads, I realized how friendly and informative everyone is here. Great site! :D

rollie
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
we try to help. this is the good site. it one of the best on the web!!! not the best, but very good. i am sure you will like it here.

Glasstapper
06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks, rollie! I have no doubt I'll be here everyday. I already have a question. I hope none of you think I'm being silly because I seriously don't really know much about this yet.

Can I have live coral in my tank? Would I start growing them first, then add the fish, or does it matter?

rollie
06-13-2006, 07:29 PM
live coral will not like in a freshwater tank.

they need to be in a salt water tank.

there is no silly questions, when it come to keeping tropical fish.

Incredulous_Ed
06-13-2006, 08:14 PM
stay away from coral in a freshwater tank/

William
06-13-2006, 10:29 PM
And dead voral raises pH levels.

Welcome

Glasstapper
06-13-2006, 10:45 PM
OK, thanks guys! :D No live coral.

Well, I'm compiling a list of breeds I'd like to own, but I need to research more about their diet, habitat preferences and behaviors. Does anyone have any suggestions on some really great beginners fish? I see most people suggest cherry barbs, so that's cool. Any others?

With such a large tank as a beginner, I think I'll be taking it very slowly adding maybe a few new fish once a month or so. I take it if I'm going to do any schools that I should do the entire school at once instead of just a few at a time?

(I hope I'm posting questions in the correct part of the forum.)

rollie
06-13-2006, 10:58 PM
adding a few at the time is good.

fancy guppys,swordtails.,platys, mollys,.

white cloud. these is just but the few that you could get.

to begin with.

Glasstapper
06-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks so much. Those are all beautiful fish!

William
06-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Just wanted to add that dead coral and other chalk stone isn't good either.

Other easy fish includes danios, goldbarbs, blakcskrit tetras, rummy nose tetras and gold gourami to menton a few.

Glasstapper
06-14-2006, 01:26 AM
This is going to be a beautiful tank! Thanks so much!

rollie
06-14-2006, 07:12 AM
if you need any things more, feel free to ask.
that what we here for.

kimmers318
06-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Just from personal experience glasstapper I am going to suggest your test kit first to see what kind of tap water you have. If you have hard water like I do you will find yourself trying to learn how to soften it a bit if you decide on some of the fish that like softer water which is something to decide on before you start getting fish. If you know ahead of time what type of water you have you can get fish that will be okay with it, or know going in that you will have to adjust it. Hubby took the easy route and stocks fish that go well with our hard water, I on the other hand, made things a bit more challenging for myself!

Full3R
06-14-2006, 12:42 PM
she got that bubbles bubblesbubbbubbles...my bubbles thing off finding nemo, i like that movie...its about nemo...and how they are finding him

Lindsay_D
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
BUBBLES!!

NorthernBoy
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Welcome to AC Glasstapper. Or should I call you Grasshopper. At first that's what I thought your name was...lol.

Incredulous_Ed
06-14-2006, 04:25 PM
If you're first stocking your aquarium, i heard it was recommended that you introduce the most shy species first, and the more agressive ones last

William
06-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Oh. and download and read our ebook.

Glasstapper
06-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Just from personal experience glasstapper I am going to suggest your test kit first to see what kind of tap water you have. If you have hard water like I do you will find yourself trying to learn how to soften it a bit if you decide on some of the fish that like softer water which is something to decide on before you start getting fish. If you know ahead of time what type of water you have you can get fish that will be okay with it, or know going in that you will have to adjust it. Hubby took the easy route and stocks fish that go well with our hard water, I on the other hand, made things a bit more challenging for myself!

I'll have to find out then because I have no idea. I live in a desert, though.

she got that bubbles bubblesbubbbubbles...my bubbles thing off finding nemo, i like that movie...its about nemo...and how they are finding him

Isn't that movie awesome?! Too bad keeping salt water fish is so difficult...for a beginner, anyway.

If you're first stocking your aquarium, i heard it was recommended that you introduce the most shy species first, and the more agressive ones last

Oh, good stuff. I wrote that down in my 'tropical fish journal'. A journal is the only way I'll be able to organize and remember everything I need to know.

Oh. and download and read our ebook.

I started reading it last night, and I have to tell you.... I learned more in the first 4 chapters than I did browsing sites for 3 days! You should see how many notes I have. Your ebook uses the simplest language and explains the hows and whys of evrything. It's awesome!

Glasstapper
06-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Welcome to AC Glasstapper. Or should I call you Grasshopper. At first that's what I thought your name was...lol.

Thanks! This is one of the better sites out there.

I chose the name Glasstapper because I wanted something that would express my genuine curiosity and interest in fish and their environment. Kind of like the feelings someone gets that makes them want to tap the glass-to see the fish move around. I don't actually tap the glass like a crazy person. 8O

Grasshopper is cool, too, though. :lol:

DemonShark
06-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Welcome sorry was away

Glasstapper
06-15-2006, 04:19 AM
hey, thanks dude! I looked at your site and i have a question for you. are you in phoenix or are you talking about the mythical bird?

rev
06-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi Glasstapper. I like that handle too.
For your first fish, can i suggest getting livebearers. Guppies, Platty's, Mollies & swordtails are all very attractive, active, & hardy livebearers meaning they give birth to live babies & breed very easily & often. Nothing is more pleasing to a new enthusiast than producing their OWN fish. Many a brilliant aquarist has started here & retains interest because it is a very pleasing aspect of the hobby. Practise on some of the easier fish like these & progress to the more difficult species from there after you decide what you like & have a bit more experience.
Just my opinion & hope it is of some help. Good luck & i know you will enjoy & excell at your new hobby...rev.

Glasstapper
06-20-2006, 01:02 AM
Thank you! Yes, I have decided to go with the guppy, molly, and swordtail to start off with. The only think I'm a little concerned with is what do I do with the babies I don't want? Selling them might be a problem because I don't know anyone here who even has a tropical tank.

Incredulous_Ed
06-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Most pet-stores will take them from you, maybe they will pay, but most likely not :(. You will have more luck giiving them to a small aquarium dealer, rather than a huge chain store (wal-mart, pet co, etc.)

rollie
06-20-2006, 06:32 AM
i would not worry about having to many youngs. they will eats most of the youngs. so you will not have to many.

nix
07-23-2006, 03:12 AM
hi guys i am also new. I was wondering about fish species to have. I would definately like some neon tetras as i have always liked them, but i am not sure about what else. Maybe some guppies or plattys? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

William
07-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Tell us a little more about your tank please ;-)

modda
07-25-2006, 08:15 PM
first of all congratulations glass tapper on being organised i know when i went and got my fish i wasnt educated enought and found my self with an infant oscar with hole in the head and in the end i lost the battle with it. you are definately doing the write thing with that. to sugest fish for you to get the only advice i would give you is get something that you like and reflects your personality i feel it makes it more interesting if your fish are more like you. well thats what i reckon anyway.

Glasstapper
07-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks, guys! Well, I have finally gotten the tank (took that woman FOREVER to bring it over!) and now I'm looking at a mess of hoses and tubes and stuff, and I have no idea how to put any of it together.

*sigh*

I made sure the tank was cleaned and wiped out thoroughly with water only and clean hand towels. Now if I can only figure out how to connect everthing, I think we'll be in business!

modda
07-25-2006, 09:44 PM
if u take a photo and maybe post it someone may be able to write something up and mark up the photo to help you just lay the bits out on the floor or something maybe just a sugestion

nix
07-26-2006, 05:17 AM
HI william my tank is a 38 litre tank that is 10 gallons in the US.

William
07-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Nix and everybode else.
Can we please start new topics for new questions as it starting to get to follow this thread.

Glasstapper
09-05-2006, 02:34 AM
hey, I finally got that tank set up. I think I may have too many decorations right now, but I'll just take some out accordingly when I start my population. At least there's lots of places for them to hide!

Here's a few pics:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/glasstapper/fish/IMG_0806.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/glasstapper/fish/IMG_0804.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g91/glasstapper/fish/IMG_0801.jpg[/url]

DemonShark
09-05-2006, 08:47 PM
how big is that tank?

Glasstapper
09-06-2006, 12:45 AM
It's a 55 gallon. 48x18x12, I think.

NorthernBoy
09-06-2006, 02:11 AM