PDA

View Full Version : first post, Female Angels together

Angelfish11788
10-08-2012, 02:57 AM
so i am a pretty good species fish keeper, Oscars, Red bellieds, bigger fish, but i am duh on a community tank. My gf wants our next tank to be a community with Angels as the centerpiece. our lfs knows a local breeder and his Angels are well Angelic. I keep seeing pairs male and female. If we had all female would there be agression, I am sure there would eventually be an dominate one. Could 5 females be fine in a heavy planted 75 gallon long tank. a few smaller fish and some corys will be in there as well.

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Won't work. Only angels that can be together are mated pairs or one.

Angelfish11788
10-08-2012, 03:27 AM
So umm, dang well at my lfs the owner has 6 in a 72 bowl, guess that is 3 pairs.. so if i go to the store and he still has them, will 6 be ok in a 75, i will get them already in pairs, his is 5 inches i just want a descent amount of Angels. I think the are beautiful and ohwell.

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2012, 03:32 AM
No, one pair or one single fish can be together. His are probably not yet mature. I can't even keep two males in a 55.

Having pairs is no picnic either as they spawn about every 20 days and that means hundreds of babies to try to get rid of and additional tanks for growing them out.

Angelfish11788
10-08-2012, 03:35 AM
ok, so if i have one pair, what would be another descent sized fish for them.. i dont want monster fish but somthing descent size with them, thanks for your help.

Angelfish11788
10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
been researching Angels, thought they would be a pretty easy fish to keep, just seems like they are a mess, so know i got a 75 cycling and i have no clue what bigger community fish can go in it,

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2012, 02:54 PM
I keep tetra's with mine but not cardinals or neons that may be eaten. Also cherry barbs. Angels are slow movers and don't like wild swimmers with them.

If you have a 300 gallon tank just jammed with plants, you could get away with a few angels. It just doesn't work in tanks 48" long. They are far too aggressive with each other. They will either simply torture others until they remain hidden their whole life or literally kill them.

They are no more messy than any other fish. I quite like them but hate their fighting.

The joy of cichlids.

Angelfish11788
10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
yea.. i know the joy.. lol it took 2 weeks but my oscars finally got along, seem its not true with the Angels.

i ment mess as in the false info i orginally got, i thought source was reliable so i have this big dream, went out got a 75 spent alot a money on a false premiss.. sorry to let it out, just irritated as i wanted 2 black veils and 2 kois.. sorry

Trillianne
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
My lfs has a lovely display of rainbows that is well planted we always admire.

I also like the denison barbs (roseline torpedo barb is another name) Either of those seem to be good in a community and are a decent size fish.

Goes to 11!
10-08-2012, 03:57 PM
You got bad information from a single source, Nothing more.

Start the hunt for a 90g on CL or ebay :-D, I have two mated pairs in my 90 and they do scrap a bit to define new boundaries whenever one pair is spawning but otherwise all is well. The spawning pair takes over about half the tank so it's very easy to see when to look for eggs because ALL the fish are on the other side lol.

5 in there is WWIII though - I lost an angel in 24 hours [He needed a time out from another tank] by putting him in there and then stupidly trimming the plants which eliminated the cover that was saving him.

Groups/multiple pairs of angels are entirely possible BUT it takes a fair amount of real estate [& civilized stock... So far] to not have it be permanently problematic.
:twocents: :22:

Angelfish11788
10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
tapped out of room for a 90, i was looking on a few forums and they said if all females to keep in an odd number , i am not gonna risk it, i'll get maybe 2 clown loaches, i read they do great in like 3 or 4, another lfs has 2 grown ones for 25.00, they seem to follow each other. I plan on visiting the store this evening and really spending sometime watching the fish and of course more reading

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
You ever think of something other than angels.......like Severums. Awesome fish.

Angelfish11788
10-08-2012, 10:09 PM
no i will check them out, will the still be ok with a community

just looked at them and they are pretty i see they get pretty big and i dont think the would go along with other inhabidents.
the brisltenose pleco, i want at least some small schooling fish maybe some tetra, the Gourami and the reedfish i plan to get, actually have the reed fish paid for and on hold till my tank finishes cycling

C-Dub
10-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I am not sure on the actual compatibility of this, just going off of my own experiences, I had a mated pair of Angels and a single Blood Parrot together for a very long time and there was good harmony between them all. Again, this was one circumstance that worked I am not at all saying this works 100% of the time. It could be something worth researching tho.

This was in a heavily planted 64 gal corner 1/4 circle tank.

MandyK
10-08-2012, 11:22 PM
If you plan on having different fish that are territorial such as angels, gouramis, or any ciclids make sure to add all the other fish first. After you've got your tank the way you want it (hiding places etc) THEN add your territorial fish, and preferrably at the same time. That way they all claim territories at the same time. I have a dwarf gourami that refuses to let me add any other fish that is about the same size as him.

Angelfish11788
10-09-2012, 12:53 AM
after being at fish store, and more researching, i may add just a lone Angel, the hardest part is just picking one color, if i get a pair, i wont want to mess with the spawning and keeping the young and dont want the other fish to eat the fry, my gf would fee bad.

Lady Hobbs
10-09-2012, 12:57 AM
I would pass on the severums then if you have community fish. I wasn't aware you had them already or had them picked out.

Angelfish11788
10-09-2012, 01:27 AM
severums are beautiful almost as good looking as discus.. my gf really wants a community tank with differant kinds she can pick out a few fish, and me with Angels i just had to love a hard fish(hard in the fact they dont get along)

kurly
10-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Why not just get one Angelfish? It's still a very striking addition to the tank. I just got one Angelfish for my 65 Gallon tank as my Centerpiece fish and I love it. I've always loved Angelfish and wanted to get a group of them for my tank but found out the same info you did about how more than one is usually trouble unless you have a very large tank.

Anyway, I thought to myself : I'd rather have one Angelfish in my tank than none and am glad that I made that decision.

I love my single Angelfish :1luvu:

Indian Woods Angels
10-11-2012, 01:28 AM
If you do not want fry you simply do not feed the fry. Without Baby brine shrimp and in a community tank you will not have baby angelfish for very long, the other fish will eat them.

Groups of either males or females segregated do get along "if" as was mentioned, you choose the right demeanor of fish. There are crazy angels out there that really rip each other up and there are angels that will not be so aggressive. A good breeder who wants nice brood stock chooses the fish based upon aggression as well as beauty.

I raise veil, superveil and veil comb tail specifically, all very delicately finned angelfish types, I keep boys and girls together and I have no troubles unless I keep the rowdies to breed. Most of my brood stock has nearly perfect fins.

If you do try one you will not be able to just add another later, that fish will own that tank and it will be tough to add another. If the breeder had two females living together and you adopted those that would be your best chance. Maybe 90% odds that all would be smooth sailing.

Angelfish11788
10-11-2012, 02:41 AM
thanks, the place i am getting them, the owner is obsessed with Angels, has a few pairs in seperate breeder tanks and has a few show, tanks with 7'' females together and swears they get along his single sentence is what lead me to this forum. he told me i could get 2 and if one was bullied bring it back... so everything in my stock is set, just that small whim...

fishmommie
10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I struggled with your same issues when stocking my 90. While I don't have an angel (I lost one) I will be adding one soon along with another Blood Parrot and a small school of congo tetras.

I think with your 75 you could have a pair of Blood Parrots (very colorful and peaceful chiclids) 1 severum (my golden is the sweetest fish ever and pals around with the BPs) and 1 angel. You could also then add a small group of shoaling fish ... like 6 - 8 Congo or Colombian Tetras. They show really pretty and are not nippers or aggressive and make nice dither fish for the cichlids ... keeps them distracted :o).

Just a thought.

Angelfish11788
10-11-2012, 04:29 PM
hey i do like the parrot, i have all my fish for my planned, it is in my other thread on stocking, I just want one more larger fish, i am sooo sorry i m hard to deal with i just got the vison.

fishmommie
10-11-2012, 04:51 PM
hey i do like the parrot, i have all my fish for my planned, it is in my other thread on stocking, I just want one more larger fish, i am sooo sorry i m hard to deal with i just got the vison.
No problem. I went through about 10 different stocking plans before I finally settled on mine. soo many fish ... so little room :goldfish:
Good luck!

Angelfish11788
10-11-2012, 06:02 PM
thanks again, yea this will be my final tank for a while, sad to say.. so it has to be perfect, well a good 90% to perfect lol

fishmommie
10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
thanks again, yea this will be my final tank for a while, sad to say.. so it has to be perfect, well a good 90% to perfect lol

Same here. check out my aquarium journal -
link is in my signature line. captured a few photos although the fish are still shy. they're still little but when they grow out they will fill the tank with a lot of color - and I still haven'' got my congos :o):fish:

Angelfish11788
10-11-2012, 07:14 PM
i am in process, it is tabbed over and bee reading it.. the way my journal would sound at the beginning probably like a start of a suicide letter, lol I took the wood out of my tank 2 day ago and i cant do to many WC cause i am cycling, so tank my tank still looks like tea... anyway i have my stock set, I just want one more "show" fish, i beleive i am gonna get one of his pairs. and sounds horrid but when they spawn let the reedfish eat them... idk I am just in love with Angels

fishmommie
10-11-2012, 07:23 PM
idk I am just in love with Angels

I love the angels too. the one I lost was a smokey blue marble and I'll replace it with exactly the same kind. They're stunning. I hope they work out for you. I can't wait to get one back in my tank again. I'm not as brave as you and don't try a pair. My luck - they'd fight all the time. Make sure you post photos when your up and running

Indian Woods Angels
10-11-2012, 07:46 PM
If the guy has females together and you try some of those fish and he is offering to take them back if you have a problem that is a nice situation, so long as they don't harm each other I could see nothing wrong with this. The main thing is that you don't want to have a situation which causes the life problems. Fish health first and then what we want and it works out a whole lot better for both.

Angelfish11788
10-11-2012, 09:39 PM
If the guy has females together and you try some of those fish and he is offering to take them back if you have a problem that is a nice situation, so long as they don't harm each other I could see nothing wrong with this. The main thing is that you don't want to have a situation which causes the life problems. Fish health first and then what we want and it works out a whole lot better for both.

I will post lots of pics... and yea guy is a pretty cool owner, i just found aquabid:hmm3grin2orange: and there is a cool koi pair, jsut a bit high
its good I aint pressed for timethumbs2:

Dave Waits
11-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi, I'm new here but, this is not my first time at the Dance. I used to breed Black Lace Super-Veil Angelfish for sale and to expand my stock. I also had a fifty-five gallon display tank, planted, that contained six of my Adult Black-Lace Supers and a Pleco. Sold a lot of fish because of that tank. They stayed in it for five years. When I got out of the hobby for a while I sold them to another Breeder along with other breeder pairs. They, at sale, had bodies the size of the palm of my hand and went about nine inches tip to tip. For the record, I wear a size 11 glove.

As was stated the demeanor of the fish is as important as their coloring and finnage. None of the Angels in that 55 ever fought or nipped. AAMOF, they all schooled together, like a gang!

It can be done.

Angelfish11788
11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
hey been a long time, i have my tank set up already. I will post pics soon