PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow tank mates

Shangrila
10-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I am really starting to like Rainbowfish. What tank mates will get along good with them. This is a 60 gallon aquarium. Tank will be set up in about two weeks followed by a fishless cycle. Just trying to gather information so I don't make any mistakes during stocking.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2012, 03:53 PM
When I first began stocking, rainbows were on my list of fish I had to have. I got boesemani, turquoise and Australian Splendia's. Within 6 months, I had given away every Splendia and two months later the turquoise and boesemani. (Later to find 4 babies in the bottom of the tank I still have.)

These are furious swimmers and like a lot of room. My tank was a 48" in length and these fish are much better in a 72". Those I still have will be going, too, simply because they keep my angel and tetra's scattered about.
They really are not good fish to put with slow movers.

All I can say is if I was to have them again, I would have a longer tank and stock with all males. With the females gone, the males are not quite so nuts.

Moved to the rainbow forum.

steeler58
10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Which Rainbows are you interested in? As LH said alot of the spieces can get very big even for your 60 gal.