PDA

View Full Version : My Angelfish :)

sunshineb
10-05-2012, 12:18 AM
This isn't really a question, but I just joined and I kind of just want to brag about my angels! (Don't we all?) I have 5 juveniles right now in a 40 tall, and it's a little crowded but once they pair up I'm returning the other 4. Here are my angels:
Calypso(orange koi) Amethyst(grey marble below)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbe8msLxIe1r1cz7ko5_250.jpg
Star
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbe8msLxIe1r1cz7ko4_250.jpg
Diablo
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbe8msLxIe1r1cz7ko3_250.jpg
Macaroni
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbe8msLxIe1r1cz7ko2_250.jpg

Also in the tank, I have 3 HY511 (Candy Cane) tetras, 3 sparkling gouramis, 2 small cory catfish, and one large axel rodi cory catfish. Oh! and I have a kuhli loach, but he always hides in the gravel.

As far as plants go, I'm just getting started. I feel like I should have made the decision to plant my aquarium before I got the fish but oh well. I am fairly sure I don't have the best choice of lighting, but I'll see how it goes.

I haven't quite figured out how to take the plants out of the pot yet, I only have an amazon sword and some plants that look like short mangroves or banana trees.

Trillianne
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Good Luck with your pairing.

You would see your kuhli more if he had a school to hang out with and lots of hiding places. That makes them less stressed and more visible. Your tetras your corys and your loach are all schooling fish and would probably appreciate the security of a large school.

fishmommie
10-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Gorgeous angels. I hope you have good luck with your pairings. They're so pretty - how are you ever going to take the remaining 3 back?

sunshineb
10-06-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't know! I work at the pet store, so its convenient, but that just means I'll have to watch them get sold :/ but I got a 6th one to replace the other one that died-- it looked just like Amethyst. I can post a picture if you'd like.

fishmommie
10-06-2012, 01:54 AM
I don't know! I work at the pet store, so its convenient, but that just means I'll have to watch them get sold :/ but I got a 6th one to replace the other one that died-- it looked just like Amethyst. I can post a picture if you'd like.
Would love to see it. Check out my journal - link below - to see a photo of the smokey blue angel I recently lost. I hope to get another one soon. he was so beautiful - like yours :11:

sunshineb
10-06-2012, 02:13 AM
I have to name it still...
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbg8s5yqYn1r1cz7ko1_500.jpg

fishmommie
10-06-2012, 02:26 AM
Gorgeous!

And I just noticed your signature line. Would be wonderful if you could get those betta's into 5 gallon tanks with heaters and filtration. I started out just like you - bettas in a bowl - and, thanks to this forum, was educated and moved them to bigger homes. That's a real tight squeeze for a fish that loves to swim. Just sayin':fish:

sunshineb
10-06-2012, 02:26 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I cried when I lost my dime sized grey :scry: I definitely think you should get another angel, they're the best center pieces for freshwater in my mind! Depending on the aggressiveness of your other fish, I think it'd be more satisfying to get a really small one and watch it grow up. Hang in there! thumbs2:

fishmommie
10-06-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I cried when I lost my dime sized grey :scry: I definitely think you should get another angel, they're the best center pieces for freshwater in my mind! Depending on the aggressiveness of your other fish, I think it'd be more satisfying to get a really small one and watch it grow up. Hang in there! thumbs2:

Thanks. He was the lone casualty of my newly stocked 90 gal. My LFS is holding another one in QT for me. He was silver dollar sized and it broke my heart to lose him.

sunshineb
10-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Gorgeous!

And I just noticed your signature line. Would be wonderful if you could get those betta's into 5 gallon tanks with heaters and filtration. I started out just like you - bettas in a bowl - and, thanks to this forum, was educated and moved them to bigger homes. That's a real tight squeeze for a fish that loves to swim. Just sayin':fish:
Yeah, I've heard that before. Thanks! I will probably eventually do that, but right now the one gallon fits perfectly on my desk, and the vase is in the main part of the house. I was looking at a bigger vase for Ty, because he's a little cramped.

sunshineb
10-06-2012, 03:29 AM
I like Onyx.. Any other ideas?

C-Dub
10-06-2012, 07:18 PM
What size are your Angels currently? 6 in a 40 Gal are going to get cramped very quickly, I also suggest you always keep 6 or more cory's at a time... I have 4 Angels in a 55 gal and am now looking to re-home 2 of them bc they are starting to nip each other over food and territory. None of the 4 appear to have paired off yet though.

Onyx is a good name thumbs2:

sunshineb
10-07-2012, 01:08 AM
What size are your Angels currently? 6 in a 40 Gal are going to get cramped very quickly, I also suggest you always keep 6 or more cory's at a time... I have 4 Angels in a 55 gal and am now looking to re-home 2 of them bc they are starting to nip each other over food and territory. None of the 4 appear to have paired off yet though.

Onyx is a good name thumbs2:

Thanks, they are about quarter sized, maybe a little bigger. And I'm not too worried about it. Why 6 or more corys though? And do they all need to be the same type? or can I have a mixed school?

GuppyAteMyDog
10-07-2012, 01:24 AM
cool angels thumbs2:

fishmommie
10-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks, they are about quarter sized, maybe a little bigger. And I'm not too worried about it. Why 6 or more corys though? And do they all need to be the same type? or can I have a mixed school?
If I recall, you're returning 4 of the angels once you get a pair, right?

As for the corys - they are a schooling fish and are just happier and more content in a group. And they also do better in a like, not a mixed, group.

sunshineb
10-07-2012, 01:00 PM
If I recall, you're returning 4 of the angels once you get a pair, right?

As for the corys - they are a schooling fish and are just happier and more content in a group. And they also do better in a like, not a mixed, group.

Yes I am, and okay thanks

C-Dub
10-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Same type, and yes they are schooling fish and gain confidence in numbers. Its better for you and the fish as they will become more active in larger groups. And the issue with the Angels is fine so long as you are actually returning 4 of them, didn't realize they were only a quarter size they looked bigger in the pics. :fish: :fish: