PDA

View Full Version : Betta's don't like shoals?

Lolita
10-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Is this true...?

I was playing on aqadvisor out of boredom, and I usually take what they say as a general guideline, but know that it varies from fish to fish.

Anyhow, I was putting in the inhabitants of my 29g at home, and it says that Betta become stressed around shoaling fish. I've never heard this before, but I wanted to know if any of you know anything about that?

I ask because I have a shoal of about 15 cardinals in that tank. He doesn't seem to mind them, but I had considered adding another shoal if I had the room for it. I don't want to freak out my betta if I do this.

VoidParadigm
10-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I'd think it's more of an issue if it's a rowdy shoal, like a school a tiger barbs would be, or any of the higher finned tetras. The peaceful slow swimmers though, I don't see why there'd be a problem unless the Betta itself has a mean personality.

Lolita
10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I'd think it's more of an issue if it's a rowdy shoal, like a school a tiger barbs would be, or any of the higher finned tetras. The peaceful slow swimmers though, I don't see why there'd be a problem unless the Betta itself has a mean personality.

Okay. I thought it was kind of odd that a betta would be stressed out by a group of fish swimming around minding their own business lol

genocidex
10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
even if they were minding their own business i think the issue is how fast, and active the fish are. if you are a laid back kind of person who take their time doing everying wouldnt you be stressed out if you had to live in the wallstreet stock exchange with all those people running around screaming jumping ect?

i think the neons are peaciful and slow movers enough that they wont cause stress but i would stay away from anything like tiger barbs, rainbows (not that your tank is big enough sorry) or other fish that pace the tank fast.

Lolita
10-01-2012, 06:45 PM
even if they were minding their own business i think the issue is how fast, and active the fish are. if you are a laid back kind of person who take their time doing everying wouldnt you be stressed out if you had to live in the wallstreet stock exchange with all those people running around screaming jumping ect?

i think the neons are peaciful and slow movers enough that they wont cause stress but i would stay away from anything like tiger barbs, rainbows (not that your tank is big enough sorry) or other fish that pace the tank fast.

Okay I see what your saying.

I was considering a Harlequin Rasbora shoal for the tank.

VoidParadigm
10-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I've done Harlys with Bettas, the only issue I've ever had was one of my males hated red-ish colored fish.

dizzydezzy
10-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I have to say, it depends a lot on the betta. Mr Fishyface started out in his own 6.8 gallon planted tank, where he would basically just sulk, or swim around like mad and bite his own fins. Now he lives in a 26 gallon with a shcool of emerald eye rasboras (very fast-swimming schoolers) and CPDs (not so much schoolers, but pretty busy, too), and he is doing so much better. Yeah, Aquadviser tells me that a betta is not suitable for my tank, but they should tell that to the betta...

I think the trick is, you need to make sure the schooling fish you get are not nippers, and that there are enough plants and decorations that the betta can get away from all the activity when he needs to.

Lolita
10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Good to know!

My betta doesn't seem bothered by any of the fish in his tank. There's a little chasing on occasion, but he's never flared and he doesn't even mind the guppies I have in there, though they're coming out.

I'm going to swing by petco today and see if they have any harlequins in stock!

Lady Hobbs
10-01-2012, 11:31 PM
From most I have heard about these fish, they are solo fish. They don't need the "friends" everyone seems to think they need.

Tiari
10-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Most advisories for Betta are general. This is because you never know the temperament of a Betta, until you have it, and put it in your tank. Advisory sites always warn against Betta with most other fish, and that's the general rule. They are usually happy in a 5 gallon plus tank, alone.

That is not to say it's always the case, but people would wig out if an advisory site said, sure, go ahead and put your Betta in with this, ......... and then Betta man went and killed in the night.