PDA

View Full Version : 3 Golden Wonder Killies (1 Forked tail?)

KevinVA
09-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Hey guys,

I purchased 3 Golden Wonders yesterday at Petsmart. They seem to be pretty healthy, but I did notice something today. Currently I have them and 3 Serpaes in a QT. One of them tends to hover around the bottom, while the other 2 hover at the top or in the mid (usually in between). Sometimes they're all at the bottom - usually when the lights are off, I think.

The one that hovers at the bottom for the majority of the time has a forked tail, while the two up top have fanned tails. Is a forked tail normal for some Killies? There doesn't appear to be any fan in the middle of the tail - it reminds me more of a shark tail than a Killie.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks!

koaladarshana
09-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Never seen a forked-tail golden wonder killie before... would love to see a pic!

KevinVA
09-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Never seen a forked-tail golden wonder killie before... would love to see a pic!

lol, I'll post a picture tomorrow.

KevinVA
09-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Or, I'll just post a picture today, 2 days later. :hmm3grin2orange:

Here's the guy. Now he seems to go where the others go. I'm thinking it's a disfigurement from when he was smaller. Maybe some other fish nipped the fan out of his tail and it grew back like this?

http://www.polidiotic.com/images/75gal/fork.jpg

koaladarshana
09-30-2012, 05:29 PM
He's beautiful! Maybe he was just born that way, a little different from the others... :)

KevinVA
10-01-2012, 12:08 AM
He's beautiful! Maybe he was just born that way, a little different from the others... :)

Haha, could be. I like him - he's pretty active. Was just wondering if I had what I thought I had, or if this was some different species. Other than the tail, he seems very healthy. Looking forward to them growing. =]

WindyCityFlyer
10-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Haha, could be. I like him - he's pretty active. Was just wondering if I had what I thought I had, or if this was some different species. Other than the tail, he seems very healthy. Looking forward to them growing. =]

Not sure how new he is, but if it is truly a he, it is pretty pale. if you would like, I can post a pic of my two who are very bright yellow/greenish for reference... :ssmile:

KevinVA
10-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Not sure how new he is, but if it is truly a he, it is pretty pale. if you would like, I can post a pic of my two who are very bright yellow/greenish for reference... :ssmile:

I just bought them about a week ago. I assume the paleness is from stress? If you don't mind posting yours, that would be great for reference.

This pic was also of him in a QT with 2 others and 3 serpaes. I now have them in the main 75gal and they all stay at the top, but I've noticed 2 separate from the 3rd. They keep away from each other. I'm thinking two of them paired off (M - this guy + F - I think), but I'm not sure what the 3rd is.

I'll take a new pic of them in the 75gal - I think they're gaining more color.

WindyCityFlyer
10-03-2012, 03:18 AM
I just bought them about a week ago. I assume the paleness is from stress? If you don't mind posting yours, that would be great for reference.

This pic was also of him in a QT with 2 others and 3 serpaes. I now have them in the main 75gal and they all stay at the top, but I've noticed 2 separate from the 3rd. They keep away from each other. I'm thinking two of them paired off (M - this guy + F - I think), but I'm not sure what the 3rd is.

I'll take a new pic of them in the 75gal - I think they're gaining more color.

Sure thing, I'll try and remember to snap and post a pic of them when I get back from work tomorrow. Hopefully I can get both in one shot.

WindyCityFlyer
10-03-2012, 08:57 PM
This is one of my Killies the other was moving around too much :) Two pics, same fish...

(I just fed them 30 seconds before so he'd swim slower, hence the particles in the water.)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii82/jgroszek/Killie1.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii82/jgroszek/Killie2.jpg

KevinVA
10-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow, very nice coloring. I hope mine develop colors like that. I'm thinking mine are just young, so they haven't developed their deeper coloring yet? How old are yours?

WindyCityFlyer
10-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Wow, very nice coloring. I hope mine develop colors like that. I'm thinking mine are just young, so they haven't developed their deeper coloring yet? How old are yours?

Thanks. Got them from an LFS maybe two months ago max. So I have no idea. They are both pretty big, so I'd assume a little older, but obviously well taken care of and full of energy.

KevinVA
10-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Mine are finally getting used to the tank and going for food (which is fun to watch). I have noticed a little change in their coloring, as well, but mostly from two of them. I'm thinking the more shy Killie is female. It's also more pale than the others.